1 of 1
Pastor electrocuted while performing baptism
Posted: 03 November 2005 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

WACO, Texas - A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning after adjusting a nearby microphone while standing in water, a church employee said.
The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reached out for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said University Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.
Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University. advertisement

Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing supervisor Pat Mahl said. The woman being baptized apparently had not stepped into the water and was not seriously injured.

Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone during baptisms, said Jamie Dudley, the wife of Ben Dudley and a business administrator at the church.
“He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear,” she said. “It’s the only way you can be loud enough.”

About 800 people attended the morning service, which was larger than normal because it was homecoming weekend at nearby Baylor University, Dudley said.

Lake had been at the church for nine years, the last seven as pastor. He had a wife, Jennifer, a 5-year-old daughter and two 3-year-old sons.

At a remembrance attended by about 1,000 people Sunday night at First Baptist Church, Ben Dudley told the UBC congregation that they would move forward as a church.
“I don’t know how, when, why, where or what’s going to happen, but we will continue as a church in the community because that is what Kyle would have wanted,” he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1031pastorelectrocuted31-ON.html

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 03 November 2005 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

hey….it happens….

Posted: 03 November 2005 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

If you only survive you own baptism because you didn’t step into the water, then God’s telling you he wants you to become a Buddist!

Posted: 03 November 2005 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

got it in one david. When I was 13 I was seriously thinking about becoming a buddhist, cos it didnt involve a god as such, then I realised that you had to be un-selfish to become one. You win some you lose some.

Well, a priest dieing at a baptism. ironic?

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 03 November 2005 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2005-03-30

I know where that church is. I live near Waco. I used to go past it everyday when I went to a self paced high school.

Posted: 03 November 2005 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

At least didn’t baptise anyone “Ugly little bastard Jones”.  smile

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 03 November 2005 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2005-03-30

They had a funeral service for him yesterday.

Posted: 03 November 2005 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Dany - 03 November 2005 07:20 PM

They had a funeral service for him yesterday.

Yes we’re being very irreverent, I know. downer

Shocking!  smile

1 of 1