Seven riddles suggest a secret city beneath Tokyo
Posted: 11 August 2007 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 11 August 2007 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Robin Bobcat - 11 August 2007 08:30 AM

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 11 August 2007 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Yup, even the commies stayed away from red rocket paint.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 11 August 2007 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
Renquist - 01 August 2007 12:39 AM

If you don’t bring Lego, women or beer I’m not interested.

I’m sure if she brought Transformers you might also make an exception raspberry

My old College had a network of underground tunnels that used to be used to get around in the winter. They were closed up after a few unfortunate events took place in them (sexual assaults downer ) but still exist. When I was in College, we gained access and went exploring. My favorite was the room under the pool area with a window into the deep end. We freaked out a few people when they noticed us looking into the pool from there:) There is also a large, abandoned, building on campus that used to be a men’s residence. We gained access to that too and had a great time exploring. Among other things we found a pool in the basement, countless graffitti in the dorm rooms, and a huge gymnasium with a suspended running track hanging from the 100 foot high ceiling. So you could be running while others were playing basketball. They’ve filmed movies in this abandoned building, and I hear that although the shool finally shut off our way in for good by burying it in a ton of gravel, current students have still found a way in.

I’ve done some other urban exploration in Montreal and it is great fun, you just need to make sure you are aware of dangers like Radon and leave everything as you found it.

Montreal also has an underground city, but it is known of and can be entered from just about anywhere in the downtown core. In the wintertime it is wonderful to be able to get virtually anywhere without going outside. It really is a whole other city underground.

The French catacombs are well known, and tours are available of them. That is something I would like to do one day, you should definitely look into it while there Renquist!

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 15 August 2007 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-03-12

I mentioned it before in another thread, but there is a series on the History channel called Cities of The Underworld.  It is one of the few programs I watch and enjoy anymore.  Nothing about Japan but they have covered some more modern places such as Edinburg and Berlin.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was an underground city in Japan, seeing as there are many of them, most large cities have some sort of underground infrastructure keeping them running.

Posted: 15 August 2007 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

There are miles of tunnels here under our coastal dunes. Some stretch even right under the boulevard of one of the main resorts (the one adjacent to our government seat). All courtesy of the generous Germans, 1940-45…  wink

Some of it is still in use by our current military.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 15 August 2007 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

I grew up in Amsterdam on the Prinsengracht 774 (opposite the Amstelveld, look it up on googlemaps and note the old wooden church there. Napoleon III used that church as a stable for his cavalry. And used the Amstelveld as a horse guard parade) and one day the cellar filled up with crystal clear water. Firebrigade came to pump it dry, and kept pumping and pumping, so a diver found that a piece of wall had collapsed and revealed a tunnel. After some investegation they found out it went to a warehouse behind my old school, the ASVO school at the Frederiksplein (just outside the old city walls) were it came up in a old freshwater well.
It was sealed up at both ends, since we got flooded and the warehouse was now property of the school and kids could fall in.
The water was crystal clear because there is a freshwater well.
Note: the Prinsengracht is the outer canal of three defencive canals of Amsterdam. (The Stadhouderskade doesn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 17 August 2007 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-08-15

seems like a good read. i’m definitely going to check this out!

4 of 4