1 of 2
Wrestler’s Murder-Suicide of Family
Posted: 28 June 2007 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

There’s a story going on in the US news right now.  It might be international, I don’t know.  How big is “pro wrestling” in the rest of the world?  (I don’t follow wrestling, but this is a fairly big news story.  Slow news week after Paris got released?  Or more likely because of the “celebrity” and bizarre circumstances.)

Anyway, the gist of the story is that a pro wrestler of the WWE, Chris Benoit, apparently killed his wife and 7-year old (mentally retarded) son on Friday of this past weekend.  He strangled her and suffocated him.  He placed a bible next to each body.  Then on Saturday Chris Benoit killed himself by hanging from and exercise machine.

Now comes the latest news on this.  The bodies were not found until around 2:00 PM Monday afternoon.  HOWEVER, just after midnight Monday - about 14 hours before the bodies were found - someone updated Benoit’s Wikipedia page saying he had missed a match on Saturday because of the death of his wife.

I’ll dig around and try to find some of the earlier stories on this for posterity, but here is the link to the article today.  It’s long and glosses over some of the things I’ve mentioned here without giving all the details.  (That’s why I want to find other articles.)

Full article: Web site posting referred to wife’s death 14 hours before cops found her

ATLANTA - Federal drug agents and sheriff’s officials raided the office of pro wrestler Chris Benoit’s personal physician in search of records and other items listed in a warrant, an official said Thursday.

Also Thursday, there was another bizarre twist to the case involving a posting to the online encyclopedia Wikipedia.

At 12:01 a.m. Monday, about 14 hours before authorities say the bodies were found, someone updated Benoit’s page on the Wikipedia site stating that the reason he missed a match Saturday night was “stemming from the death of his wife Nancy.”

The posting was made by someone using an IP address registered in Stamford, Conn., where World Wrestling Entertainment is based, said Cary Bass, a representative of Wikimedia Foundation of St. Petersburg, Fla., the parent company of Wikipedia.

It was not known where the posting was actually sent from, however, Bass said.

Over the weekend, authorities said, Benoit killed his wife and son and then killed himself at their home in Fayetteville.

The Fayette County District Attorney’s Office was made aware of the posting by reporters on Thursday and forwarded the information to sheriff’s investigators who are looking into it, a legal assistant said in an e-mail to AP.

WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt said to his knowledge, no one at the WWE knew Nancy Benoit was dead before her body was found Monday afternoon. Text messages released by officials show that messages from Chris Benoit’s cell phone were being sent to co-workers a few hours after the Wikipedia posting.

McDevitt said WWE employees are given WWE e-mail addresses, though he did not know if Chris Benoit had one assigned to him.
“I have no idea who posted this,” McDevitt said. “It’s at least possible Chris may have sent some other text message to someone that we’re unaware of. We don’t know if he did. The phone is in the possession of authorities.”

[More…]

From further down in this same article:

In the days before the killings, Benoit and his wife argued over whether he should stay home more to take care of their mentally retarded 7-year-old son, according to an attorney for the WWE wrestling league.

The child suffered from a rare medical condition called Fragile X Syndrome, an inherited form of mental retardation often accompanied by autism.

Over the past weekend, authorities said, Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine cable in the couple’s suburban home. No motive was offered for the killings, which were discovered Monday.

[More…]

Edit to correct some incorrect facts I originally typed up top.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 June 2007 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

One of the first articles on this story once some facts were known.  I’m not finding a link on MSNBC with the original story I saw when they didn’t know much other than that they were all dead.

Pro wrestler Benoit kills family then himself

And here’s a nice story about the follow-up reactions by the employer:

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19474972/]WWE

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 28 June 2007 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Could he have updated his own wiki page?

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 28 June 2007 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

He was dead by then.  He killed himself sometime on Saturday.  The update was on Monday just after midnight (Sunday night).  And the article mentions that the IP the update came from is in the area where the WWE headquarters are, though specific location apparently couldn’t be determined.  Or hadn’t at been that time of the report.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Ah, I hadn’t paid close enough attention to the times, I assumed that he was perhaps still alive.

Well, someone knew about it. He must have told someone, had help, or as a stretch, was perhaps murdered along with his family and the murder-suicide was staged. I’m leaning towards the first possibility though. He probably freaked and called a buddy.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 28 June 2007 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16

All right.  Did you read the article I so carefully cited? wink  He was apparently in contact via text-messaging with other wrestlers and/or friends.  (Police have his phone, so exact details are unknown right now.)

I guess the bigger issue here is why somone knew on Sunday - probably Saturday since he killed himself then - but neglected to follow-up to confirm with authorities, Benoit or whoever and instead decided to post unconfirmed (other than by an apparent text message) information on the Wikipedia page.

I don’t know the legal ramifications of it.  I guess a lot would have to do with who the person is and what exactly they knew based on the message or email they received.  But at this point it falls more into the “really weird and freaky” category (for me) than the “send him/her to jail!” category.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2007 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

I’ve heard all kinds of stuff about it but the main stuff that seems to filtering thru up here is that him and his wife argued over child care for their ‘disabled’ son and apparently that set off some sort of arguement whereupon they all ended up dead.  I am thinking that all the steroids he took to build up like he was did something to his head.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 June 2007 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I suppose that there are at least three likely cases.  One is that he sent an innocent sounding message to a friend saying something like, “My wife is dead, I won’t be showing up”.  Another is that he sent a message saying something like, “By the way, I won’t be around much because I just killed my family,” and the person who received the message decided to not say a word of it to anybody other than making an anonymous Wikipedia entry (which is really rather weird, but people do weird things sometimes).  The other possibility is that somebody just made a lucky guess.

Or else somebody’s made an error in telling time somewhere.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 28 June 2007 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

How certain is it that the Wikipedia entry was up ahead of time?  I mean, couldn’t someone have hacked whatever date stamp is being used, or did someone actually report the Wikipedia entry before the murders?

The sequence of events (at least in the MSNBC story) is confusing—well, to me anyway.  The raid of the doctors office took place on Wednesday night to Thursday—does that mean today (Thursday, June 28th), or are these events that happened last week before the murders/suicide?

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 28 June 2007 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
gray - 29 June 2007 12:26 AM

I’ve heard all kinds of stuff about it but the main stuff that seems to filtering thru up here is that him and his wife argued over child care for their ‘disabled’ son and apparently that set off some sort of arguement whereupon they all ended up dead.  I am thinking that all the steroids he took to build up like he was did something to his head.

‘Roid Rage’ is a myth, Gray.  Most people, especially the press, somehow ‘know’ all about steroids, but cannot cite their source of knowledge; it is because it is all just repeating what someone else ‘knows’, who got it from someone else, and so on.

Now, as a pro wrestler, even though the outcome of each match is pre-ordained, all the moves are real, the throws and jumps are real, and the extreme athleticism of the wrestlers is real.

Such people are highly motivated, highly competitive, and used to solving problems with brute athleticism, not words and analyses. 

Furthermore, he set out a Bible, a book where-in child-killiing and wife abuse is pretty much done at the behest of God all the time.

So perhaps he was told to do his deeds by Heavenly voices; that scenario (yes I admit it, I am really stretching here), anyway, I won’t finish that thought, it is not really very constructive, but it was the man that did those deeds, not the steroids.

Yes, I read a lot about Steroids in both regular printed books and on-line, and yep, I take them too.  I have for about five years now; half the people in the gym do, and just about everyone in the upper-level sports arena of any sport, any venue, Olympian, pro-ball, soccer, running, bicycling, they are all taking them.  Masking their use is quite easy; they all do it *, and you do not read of them whacking each other, do you?

Hasn’t done a F%!*&!!@?<__*cking thing to me, and I will punch out anyone who implies it!

Dan, off to the gym, see you!

*  The evidence is abundantly clear, I will elaborate if asked.

Posted: 29 June 2007 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2006-04-13

There very well may have been some delay between when Benoit sent the text messages (from both his and his wife’s phone) and when they were received.  The text messages were cries for help though.  He texted “my physical address is ....” several times from both his and his wife’s phone and other messages were regardiing him feeding the dogs and that a side door to the garage was open.

The wikipedia page revision is very weird, though I do believe that they think the IP address of Stamford, CT was spoofed.  Also, whoever made the changes to Benoit’s page had also “vandalised” other pages, one being another wrestler’s page, Chavo Guerrero Jr’s.  Whether this actually has any relevance to the murder suicide is unclear.  The timing of the revision is the weirdest part becasue thpough the IP can be spoofed, the timestamp is supposedly something that cannot be hacked (at least without a major effort that most likely could be detected).

Posted: 29 June 2007 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

Well, there are people out there who can hack their way into almost anything so i wouldn’t put it past someone to be able to hack a timestamp.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

1 of 2