Car thieves confounded by sticky situation
Posted: 22 June 2007 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/21/1958318.htm

Manual car stumps would-be thieves

A witness says two Americans have failed to make their getaway in a car they had just stolen because they could not figure out how to use its manual transmission.

The teenagers, armed with a gun, approached a man outside a pizza restaurant in Marietta, Georgia, late on Monday (local time).

Restaurant employee John Williamson says they stole the man’s wallet and the keys to his Honda Accord, got into the car but could not make it start because it had a manual transmission.

“The kid was just sitting in the car trying to start it but he had no idea what to do,” the 18-year-old said.

“He looked dumbfounded. The only thing he had going was the radio.”

While the thief was trying to start the car, restaurant employees called the police, who arrived and caught the teenagers as they tried to escape into nearby woods.

Unlike many parts of the world, the majority of cars in the US are automatic and many drivers are unused to driving “stick shift” vehicles.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

LOL

This is great!!  I guess next time you have to make a get away you’ll ask the car’s owner if it’s a manual or automatic!!

I taught my sister to drive stick.  She had been unable to learn from my mother or husband…and was about thisclose to saying no to the car (she bought it from Jason and me), when I said…Here, I had to learn to do this mostly on my own…I bet you’ll get it better from me.  (It’s bizarre, as much as we fight, we have this weird connection that let’s us half explain something to the other and it still makes sense.)

The first thing I taught her, “When it doubt…take it OUT [of gear]!”  wink
Coasting in neutral let’s you brake w/o shutting your car off…and gives you a second to figure out what speed you’re at & what gear you should get into.  It apparently worked, b/c she uses it twice a week to drive to Orlando (almost 2 hours away) for her Disney shifts.  And I-4 is one of those interstates that can be confused for a parking lot sometimes.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 22 June 2007 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

This reminds me of the first time I drove a manual transmission car. I was with a girl friend who took me back to the town she went to college in, we went to an old friend of hers house. He was a drug dealer. This guy gave me some marijuana and we smoked it. My girlfriend and I went to a Goodwill and bought a trashy romance novel to read on the way home. I couldn’t read the book in the car so she had me drive. It was a stick shift and I didn’t have any idea what to do. I got really frustrated and started to cry. It was very embarrassing, but now, its a great story.

This was about 5 or 6 years ago, it was probably one of the last times I did marijuana or tried to drive a stick shift.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 22 June 2007 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

It’s sounds funny until you hear how, but I once bought a car without realising it was a manual(my first manual car).
I’d driven a manual before, but never owned one.

It was after a write-off car crash, where a guy ran a red light and hit me. Due to me not thinking that I’d actually need witnesses(there were plenty at the time), he denied it when the police arrived, my word verses his, and a few days later I was told ‘I’ was at fault. No, I ended up having to use MY insurance to fix his car. Many sleepless nights of angst over that.
Anyway, when I went down to the garage where my car was, they had an estimate of $8000 repairs on my $9000 car, and without insurance I wasnt going to pay it. They offered to swap my ‘wreck’ for their loaner car, and given it was that or nothing, I accepted.
Once I got in, I realised what I had, and had to drive home in the rain, in peak hour traffic. After stalling it on many lights I then laid rubber in the wet on the rest to stop it stalling.
Once i got home, I felt I now knew how to drive a manual, seeing as if I could drive in those conditions, I could drive in any.

Posted: 22 June 2007 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

Whew,    That makes me feel better about my trip this summer.  Don’t have to worry about the car being ripped off by any teens.  smile

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

Never even seen an automatic car. As far as I’m aware it’s like a massive dodgem tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Renquist - 23 June 2007 01:00 AM

Never even seen an automatic car. As far as I’m aware it’s like a massive dodgem tongue wink

That would be fantastic! grin

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Madmouse - 23 June 2007 01:11 AM

I think I smell a new crime-wave: thefts of automatic cars and using them as dodgems!

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
Renquist - 23 June 2007 01:18 AM
Madmouse - 23 June 2007 01:11 AM

I think I smell a new crime-wave: thefts of automatic cars and using them as dodgems!

Right, I’m in!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 22 June 2007 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5539
Joined  2007-03-14

Where do I sign up???  smile

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 June 2007 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16

Automatic cars?  Are those anything like those cars I hear about with cruise control so you can crawl in the back seat and take a nap?

Shortly after getting my license I learned to drive a manual transmission.  Just about every car I’ve had since then has been one.  The sole exception is the Toyota 4Runner we currently have.  It’s our second vehicle and mainly used on the weekends when we go out as a family.  Sometimes in the winter when the snow is really bad.

Anyway, my Toyota Camry has a manual transmission.  I researched when buying it and found out that the manual transmission was actually standard.  The automatic transmission cost more.

No problem for me since my previous two cars had both been manual transmissions!

When I went to the dealership I had to explain to the salesman that, no, I wasn’t going to pay more for the manual transmission since it was standard.  No I didn’t want the automatic transmission that I would have to pay more for.  (And I don’t want the spoiler on the back, either, that I would have to pay more for and serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever on a regular, everyday car.)

It took them two weeks to hunt one down with the features I wanted and get it transferred to the dealership.  Surprise, surprise.  Just about every single Camry in the immediate area was an automatic transmission.  rolleyes

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 June 2007 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Most vehicles are cheaper w/ a manual transmission.  Depending on the type of car, though…they can be hard tim find…like Tah’s Camry.

I am sure it would be easy to find a manual Mustang, or Camaro…but a sedan?  You probably can’t visit a car dealership that has a sedan w/ a manual transmission.

When I was pregnant, Jason hurt his foot, so we switched cars.  (I had a big old taurus, he had a 4 dr nissan sentra - manual!)  So, he drove auto for a while, and I drove manual.  I drove it for quite a few months.  Then, my parents lent me my OLD car (an automatic 2 dr nissan sentra) that I had given to them when I got the taurus (which I only used b/c it had 4 doors…carseat wouldn’t fit in my little sentra)...I don’t remember why I needed the sentra, but anyway…I’m going along…suddenly the sentra slams to a stop.  I can’t figure out what happend…but no one was hurt & I hadn’t caused any accidents.  So I continued.  After a few minutes…it happened again!  I figured out later that I was trying to use the brake as a clutch.  I wasn’t trying to shift gears…I just kept stomping on the brake, thinking I was pushing in the clutch.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 1