1 of 1
The flight from hell
Posted: 20 June 2007 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

Gotta hate it when this happens.  At least when you’re at home you can do something about it.

article here

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 20 June 2007 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16

sick

That must have been a joyous time with unicorns and dancing fairies.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 21 June 2007 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

They should have dispensed complimentary narcotics so you’d SEE the unicorns and dancing fairies and not the serene river of feces.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 June 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

This is a tangent regarding the thread title, “The flight from hell”. 

I get a kick out of these expressions that follow the pattern “the x from hell” intended to mean “the hellish x” that come out meaning something unintended.  The most obvious meaning of the phrase “the flight from hell” would be something like Orpheus running like crazy to get past Cerberus. 

A friend of mine once took a trip to Paris just in time for a week of rain and a transportation strike.  She said it was a “vacation from hell”.  My response was, “Welcome back to hell” which thoroughly confused her.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 21 June 2007 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I take it that they couldn’t just empty the airplane’s sewage tank over the ocean?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 21 June 2007 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20
Accipiter - 21 June 2007 07:04 PM

I take it that they couldn’t just empty the airplane’s sewage tank over the ocean?

Nah—the pneumatic lines were all clogged up with TB.

Signature 

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 21 June 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
JoeDaJuggler - 21 June 2007 06:57 PM

This is a tangent regarding the thread title, “The flight from hell”. 

I get a kick out of these expressions that follow the pattern “the x from hell” intended to mean “the hellish x” that come out meaning something unintended.  The most obvious meaning of the phrase “the flight from hell” would be something like Orpheus running like crazy to get past Cerberus. 

A friend of mine once took a trip to Paris just in time for a week of rain and a transportation strike.  She said it was a “vacation from hell”.  My response was, “Welcome back to hell” which thoroughly confused her.

However in context both the phrase “Flight from Hell” and “Vacation from Hell” are perfectly justified. Context allows us to differentiate between what a phrase is intended to mean and what it could mean under other circumstances.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 22 June 2007 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-05-20
Renquist - 21 June 2007 11:05 PM

However in context both the phrase “Flight from Hell” and “Vacation from Hell” are perfectly justified. Context allows us to differentiate between what a phrase is intended to mean and what it could mean under other circumstances.

I understand.  I never meant to suggest that people would misread these.  I just think it’s funny that people use these sort of expressions without the other meaning even occurring to them. Just like some of these poorly thought out headlines, the intended meaning is usually obvious, but the other one is right there.

But then again, I’m pretty easily amused—especially when it comes to puns.

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2007 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14
Accipiter - 21 June 2007 07:04 PM

Actually in most modern aircraft the crew doesn’t have the option to do that in flight.  They can dump fuel if necessary but not normally waste.  It is pumped out by a septic truck when they land.  However since I am not familiar with every type of aircraft I can’t guarantee that there aren’t some where that is a possibility.  I have been around aircraft for about 30 years and still haven’t seen them all.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 June 2007 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

I can see it vividly… we had a sewer problem two weeks ago and all the shyte from the 4 appartments above invaded our patio… and into the kitchen.
Seems that because the water here is very hard it makes a big blob of the soappowder used in the washingmachines/dishwashers. So when they opened up the pipes in the garage below they found big lumps of soapy/calcium.
Anyway, here is a picture of the great brown flood.

Image Attachments
P5304081.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 1