2 of 2
It had to happen sometime.
Posted: 22 June 2007 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 22 June 2007 12:54 PM

Well Dutch Law is based heavily on French and Roman Law (French is itself based on Roman), and the origins of Scots Law came from Roman Law and French/ Italian legal systems so it shouldn’t surprise me if they were closely related. Besides, emotional damage seems to be a quite recent development so an older legal system such as Dutch Law might not have any precedent to allow it.

We’ll just have to make fun of LaMa, and then see if he successfully sues us for emotional damages. . .

Hey, LaMa!  Nyah nyah!  Cud breath!  Cud breath!  Hairy lips!  cheese

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I told Renquist in some other thread that people in the U.S. could sue for emotional damages but he didn’t believe me rolleyes tongue rolleye

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 22 June 2007 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Can you sue for emotional damages by themselves, or do they have to be included in with other damages?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 22 June 2007 01:14 PM
Renquist - 22 June 2007 12:54 PM

Well Dutch Law is based heavily on French and Roman Law (French is itself based on Roman), and the origins of Scots Law came from Roman Law and French/ Italian legal systems so it shouldn’t surprise me if they were closely related. Besides, emotional damage seems to be a quite recent development so an older legal system such as Dutch Law might not have any precedent to allow it.

We’ll just have to make fun of LaMa, and then see if he successfully sues us for emotional damages. . .

Hey, LaMa!  Nyah nyah!  Cud breath!  Cud breath!  Hairy lips!  cheese

[Python-French accent]
I’ll wiggle my weak parts to your Aunt! Now go avay or I vil taunt you a second timuh!
[/Python-French accent]

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 22 June 2007 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
MadCarlotta - 22 June 2007 03:57 PM

I told Renquist in some other thread that people in the U.S. could sue for emotional damages but he didn’t believe me rolleyes tongue rolleye

Well it IS like saying that a hippo ate a dwarf. I’m naturally inclined to disbelieve such a ludicrous idea tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

2 of 2