1 of 2
It had to happen sometime.
Posted: 20 June 2007 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I have been waiting for the day when something like this would happen.  Apparently a woman in the Netherlands is suing the lottery corporation there because she didn’t win the lottery.  She didn’t even enter. 

article here

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 21 June 2007 03:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2006-01-01

Normally spoken: when you loose in a lottery, you just loose like a lot of aother people do and that’s just it. Yet there are 2 loose-scenarios here: you loose like millions of other people do, tough luck, OR you loose while your 6 neighbors have

Posted: 21 June 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

The story is true: she sued, and she lost.

It’s also true that the Postcodeloterij deliberately plays into emotional blackmail in their frequent flyer mailings, pointing to the prospect of your whole street having a party with 15 million Euro while you stay empty-handed, if you don’t buy a ticket. And they descend on the winning street with a camera-team, making it all a highly visible event. In that sense, I can understand this lady quite well. I do believe she has legitimate emotional damage. But I also believe the court ruling is fair.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 21 June 2007 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
LaMa - 21 June 2007 01:10 PM

The story is true: she sued, and she lost.

It’s also true that the Postcodeloterij deliberately plays into emotional blackmail in their frequent flyer mailings, pointing to the prospect of your whole street having a party with 15 million Euro while you stay empty-handed, if you don’t buy a ticket. And they descend on the winning street with a camera-team, making it all a highly visible event. In that sense, I can understand this lady quite well. I do believe she has legitimate emotional damage. But I also believe the court ruling is fair.

In law there is no such thing as ‘emotional damage’. You can’t sue anyone for hurt feeling. You can sue for trauma, yes (like if an immediate family member died because of someone or the council, removing a dead body, by accident let the gory corpse fall off the trolley right in front of a group of nursery-school kids or something). But not emotional damage.

Well technically you can sue for it, just not successfully tongue wink

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 21 June 2007 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5540
Joined  2007-03-14

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.  If she really didn’t want to get involved why would it bother her if the rest of the block did and are now showing off their new found wealth??  Emotinal damage?  It sounded to me like she was extremely put out because her neighbor was torturing her by parking his new porche in his driveway.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 June 2007 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

But she isn’t a sore loser!

Priceless!  You know, if someone put a line like that in a movie, no one would buy it.  The writer would lose his writer’s - guild card or something, or his keyboard would get confiscated.

Maybe, after reading some of the above responses, perhaps the marketing of the tickets is a bit aggressive, but hey, here in the US, where people can join lotto clubs, or form groups at work or something and pool ptheri purchases and the resultant winnings, think how the fellow-workers feel who laughed off the opportunity.

And also, a book was recently published, showing that about one oout of ten winners end up worse off in just a few years.  They invest their winnings in scams, or very risky ventures, or casually spend like there was no tomorrow, and then wake up one day and have no money.

Dan, who plays even though it is ridciulous, because, hey, someone wins, you know?

Posted: 22 June 2007 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Renquist - 21 June 2007 03:49 PM

In law there is no such thing as ‘emotional damage’. You can’t sue anyone for hurt feeling. You can sue for trauma, yes (like if an immediate family member died because of someone or the council, removing a dead body, by accident let the gory corpse fall off the trolley right in front of a group of nursery-school kids or something). But not emotional damage.

Are you sure?  In US tort law (not where this suit took place admittedly), damages can include emotional injury.  At least according to answers.com:

Damages

Personal injury tort victims must normally recover all their damages

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Yep.  My lawyer asked my group and I to each put a price on our emotional damage.  Of course the more emotional damage the better for him because he gets 40%....

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
gray - 22 June 2007 03:20 AM

I have no sympathy for her whatsoever.  If she really didn’t want to get involved why would it bother her if the rest of the block did and are now showing off their new found wealth??  Emotinal damage?  It sounded to me like she was extremely put out because her neighbor was torturing her by parking his new porche in his driveway.

The point is that unlike a normal lottery, you cannot escape here. If someone in your street wins the normal lottery, you and the rest of the block think: “lucky basterd, you didn’t deserve it but shit happens” and shrug it off: and if the lucky bastard in question starts to show-off it will be him who gets socially isolated in the block due to his own behaviour. But in this case, the whole block thinks: “poor bastard, we are rich now and going to show you you are a sucker for not playing along”. You need to be pretty strong to withstand being immersed (literally) in this kind of situation without any effects upon you: you get isolated in your social context againts your will. In that sense, I can understand this woman very well.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
JoeDaJuggler - 22 June 2007 04:34 AM

Are you sure?  In US tort law (not where this suit took place admittedly), damages can include emotional injury.  At least according to answers.com:

Damages

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Renquist - 22 June 2007 12:33 PM

Damages

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 22 June 2007 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 22 June 2007 12:46 PM
Renquist - 22 June 2007 12:33 PM

Damages

Signature 

- Voltaire

1 of 2