1 of 1
Jack Thompson’s Modest Proposal?
Posted: 21 October 2005 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

You know, I checked through the forums, but couldn’t find anything relating to this guy here.. *I* certainly think it was a publicity hoax, at this point.

For those unfamiliar, Jack Thompson is a fairly high-end lawyer, noted for his rabid anti-videogame violence stance. He recently put forth a ‘Modest Proposal’, which basically was for a video game company to make an ultra-violent video game in which certain characters with names and occupations very similar to those of Take Two (makers of the Grand Theft Auto series) executives. In return, if it was made, Jack promised to donate $10,000 to the charity of Take Two’s CEO’s choice.

Full details and text of the letter: http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5883

You can of course, predict what happened next.

Gamers around the world rose up in a united wave of anger, crushing all those bef.. oh, ok, fine, but there was a lot of anger on the ‘net. In any case, a few of them got together and *created* the game specified, matching all the needed bullet points.

Jack then said that his ‘modest proposal’ was merely ‘satire’, and that he was in no way obligated to part with his hard-earned monies.

The gamers united were even more outraged, to the point that Tycho and Gabe, of Penny Arcade fame, who had been getting some rather childishly snarky emails from Jack, simply went ahead and donated $10K to a worthy cause, *in Jack’s name*..

My favorite part has to be that the check they wrote reads ‘For Jack Thompson because Jack Thomson won’t’

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-10-17  gives a good rundown of the last bit, including Jack’s attempt to get them arrested for harrassment.

Now, for those of you of the opinion that video games are evil, just bear in mind that this thread is about Jack’s publicity hoax, not a discussion on video game violence. I personally have the opinion that a lot of gamers do, that needlessly violent games probably *should* be out of the hands of kids, and that it’s the parent’s responsability to not buy their little darlings Chainsaw Murdering Bus Driver 3 just as much as it’s the retailer’s responsability to not sell it to some kid who just raided mommy’s purse.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 21 October 2005 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

CMBDIII is out already?  I guess I’ve been too busy with Postal 4: the Ice Cream Man Cometh.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 October 2005 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Ha!!!! Chary with another funny…....I just bought The Warriors…by RockStar Games..

Posted: 21 October 2005 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
Charybdis - 21 October 2005 04:57 PM

CMBDIII is out already?  I guess I’ve been too busy with Postal 4: the Ice Cream Man Cometh.

*faceplant*

Yes, yes it is.. Even introduces a new powerup for the Kitten Blender, though I’m not gonna spoiler for it here.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 21 October 2005 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  342
Joined  2004-11-08

I just did a Google search for “Chainsaw Murdering Bus Driver” and it got NO RESULTS. I don’t think this is a real game and that Robin Bobcat is trying to trick us.

Signature 

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
-George Orwell

Posted: 21 October 2005 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Curse you and your unholy powers of perception! I would have made millions if not for those meddling kids! Damn you Google! You have foiled me for the last time!

Update: Jack’s now under investigation by the Florida Bar.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051019-5458.html

Signature 

1 of 1