1 of 1
Artist fools punters into buying tins of cheap plaster…
Posted: 15 June 2007 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

...when what they thought they were buying was his shit.

Reuters reports:
[quote author=“Reuters”]Famed excremental art may just be plaster
By Jessica Levy

LONDON, June 12 (Reuters) - Tins sold for thousands of dollars to collectors and museums as works of excremental art by famed Italian artist Piero Manzoni may not actually contain any of the artist’s faeces.

Comments by fellow artist Agostino Bonalumi, who told Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera this week that the 90 tins of “Artist’s Shit” had nothing in them but plaster, have provoked a response from a museum which paid more than 20,000 pounds for one of them. A spokeswoman at the Tate museum in London insisted that the revelation did not invalidate the tin as a work of art.

“Keeping the viewer in suspense is part of the work’s subversive humour,” she said.

Early in his career, Bonalumi worked with Manzoni in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The two rebelled against the conformity of the traditional Italian art scene and sought to play with the expectations of buyers. Before his death in 1963, Manzoni said he hoped his work would “expose the gullibility of the art-buying public”. The suggestion was that anything an artist made could be rendered as valuable, even if it was simply a series of re-labelled tin cans containing human excrement.

Manzoni produced the work in 1961, labelled each tin as “100 percent pure artist’s shit” in Italian, French, German and English” and sold them for the price of their weight in gold.

It’s a good job he’s dead, because this is a clear case of misleading labelling. I would think if you are gullible enough to actually buy canned shit, at the very least you deserve to get the real thing!

Please note that if anyone wants to buy my shit, piss, sputum, smeg or fingernail gunk I will guarantee it to be the genuine article!

Posted: 15 June 2007 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

So he forged his own poo.
Does that make it a fake? Or not since he did it himself.
Could Rembrandt have painted a fake Rembrandt so to say.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 June 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

[quote author=“Beasjt

Posted: 15 June 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

My mind is still boggling over the fact that someone would buy tins of crap no matter whose it is. Would you dig it out of the tin to display it????  I suppose they discovered the hoax when someone was brave enough to open one up to smell it and got a facefull of white powder instead.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 15 June 2007 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

I really wish you could buy chocolate spread in cans, just so I could swap the labels and watch peoples faces when I make myself a sandwich.

Posted: 16 June 2007 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
David B. - 15 June 2007 02:57 PM

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 June 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

[quote author=“Reuters”]The Tate declined to say if the news would change the value of its tin of “Merda d’Artista.”

If anything, I’m thinking it has increased slightly.

Certainly I’d pay more for a tin if it didn’t contain someone’s s**t!

1 of 1

‹‹ Armadillo!      The fart of death. ››