1 of 1
Bumps and bruises are ‘good for children
Posted: 13 June 2007 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Children should be allowed to play dangerous games and risk minor injuries as part of a wider lesson in life, the organisation responsible for avoiding accidents has said.

By scraping knees, grazing elbows and getting bruises, children learn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 June 2007 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Last night, while Erik and I were walking FuzzyButt in his stroller (a nightly routine), we saw a father driving a small pickup truck with his daughter riding along in the truck’s open bed. 

I said, ‘Isn’t that against the law?’ Then added, ‘of course when we were kids we did that all the time and no one thought a thing of it.’

Erik quickly corrected me, ‘Well, back then families were large, children were disposable; afterall, we’re BabyBoomers.’

I simply nodded in agreement…........

Image Attachments
FuzzyButt stroller 1.jpg
 Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 June 2007 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I agree with the article.
I was forever getting bruises, scrapes, cuts and stings when I was a kid, and that’s how I learnt what to avoid.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 13 June 2007 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I agree too.

And I think the same goes for the modern over-concern with hygiene. There’s nothing bad in a kid picking up some germs (within limits of course), it boosts the immune system.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 13 June 2007 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Thankfully I

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 13 June 2007 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Boo - 13 June 2007 01:01 PM

I agree with the article.
I was forever getting bruises, scrapes, cuts and stings when I was a kid, and that’s how I learnt what to avoid.

And as they say, all of life is a learning process.  In this particular case, that’s especially true for Boo.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 June 2007 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2006-04-13

Research for the Children

1 of 1

‹‹ Chatline For Dolphin      Oldskool Fatwa ››