1 of 1
Chatline For Dolphin
Posted: 12 June 2007 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

A system of speakers and microphones has been set up to help a dolphin calf learn to ‘speak’. smile

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 12 June 2007 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

That’s so cool…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 13 June 2007 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Great idea! And it gave me a smile for the rest of the day.
Hope it works.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 17 June 2007 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/06/15/stranded.dolphin.ap/index.html

Deaf dolphin’s 5-day-old calf dies

KEY LARGO, Florida (AP)—The newborn calf of a deaf bottlenose dolphin that was found stranded last fall off a Florida beach died Friday at a marine mammal rehabilitation center.

Veterinarians and volunteers had noticed Thursday that the 5-day-old calf’s breathing was labored and it was struggling to swim. They stayed through the night nursing it and administering drugs, said Robert Lingenfelser, president of the Marine Mammal Conservancy.

“Everything that could have been done was done,” Lingenfelser said. “There is a profound sense of sadness here.”

He said the body of the male calf was being sent to a National Marine Fisheries laboratory for a necropsy.

Its mother, nicknamed Castaway, was found stranded off Vero Beach in November. She was initially deemed healthy enough for release, but instead of swimming offshore, she returned to the beach three times. The dolphin was eventually transported to the center in the Keys, where she was determined to be deaf.

Lingenfelser said that Castaway appeared to be in good condition Friday, but that veterinarians had drawn blood for testing.

Researchers had hoped to use technology to teach the baby to vocalize normally despite Castaway’s disability.

Castaway had been vocalizing to the calf, but officials at the Marine Mammal Conservancy said that wouldn’t be enough for it to learn proper dolphin-speak.

“Castaway’s vocalizations are not normal,” Lingenfelser said. “She speaks in a monotone, similar to the way that people who cannot hear speak.”

So researchers electronically linked Castaway’s habitat with a lagoon at Dolphins Plus, a research and interactive educational facility a few miles away. Underwater speakers and microphones were installed at both locations so the calf could communicate with hearing dolphins.

However, because of the calf’s death, the experiment never was put to the test.

Oh well.  downer

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 17 June 2007 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17

Oh, dammit… downer

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 18 June 2007 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

So sad… downer

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

1 of 1