The world
Posted: 07 June 2007 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27

[url=http://worldsfamousphotos.com/]These are indeed world

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

Surprisingly about 30% of those pictures I’ve never seen.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

If I saw a kid crawling along the ground trying to reach a food camp with a vulture trailing behind him waiting for him to die, I’d pick the damn kid up and bring him to the food. I really hope that the photographer did that. it says he left immediately though.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8458
Joined  2006-02-28
MadCarlotta - 07 June 2007 06:26 PM

If I saw a kid crawling along the ground trying to reach a food camp with a vulture trailing behind him waiting for him to die, I’d pick the damn kid up and bring him to the food. I really hope that the photographer did that. it says he left immediately though.

... you would have had to do it thousands of times MC…

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

And let’s not even get started on the pictures that are missing.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02
Charybdis - 07 June 2007 06:38 PM

Yeah, like this one:

and I think they are stupid for putting that 9/11 photoshopped one in there.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02
oppiejoe - 07 June 2007 06:32 PM
MadCarlotta - 07 June 2007 06:26 PM

... you would have had to do it thousands of times MC…

I know downer

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I was thinking more along the lines of

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8458
Joined  2006-02-28

awesome examples Chary and Carlotta smile

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Charybdis - 07 June 2007 06:38 PM

That

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 June 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve seen some of those pictures.  I don’t recall seeing the birth one, the Omayra Sanchez one, the Power of One, either of the Che Guevera ones, 2Pac, or the How Life Begins one.  And I, too, can think of plenty of pictures that I would think are more famous than many of the ones they show there.

I did wonder about the photographers of the starving kid picture and the drowing kid picture.  In the first it’s actually stated that the guy took the picture and then walked away.  And in the other one, why wasn’t the photographer trying to get the girl out of the debris and water?  At least with the kids who had been napalmed, the photographer doused them with water afterwards (for what little good that would do to napalm burns).

Both of the WWII pictures of people raising flags (the one American, and the one Soviet) are sort of hoaxes.  The Iwo Jima one shows the raising of the second American flag on the mountain.  There is a picture of the first one that I see every now and then; it shows a group of troops standing around the pole while in the foreground another man with a rifle keeps watch.  The first flag had been raised something like two hours before the second one, but it was taken down (partly because it was too small, partly because various people wanted it as a souvenier).  Then the one in that more famous picture was raised.  So it wasn’t really the first flag raised.  Of course, the battle was still going on during the second picture, and the mountain still wasn’t secure.  If I remember rightly, half the people in that photo were killed within the next couple of days.

The Soviet flag in the Berlin picture wasn’t the original one raised over the Reichstag, either.  There was a home-made flag that was raised over the building by a group of soldiers who had fought their way through to the roof, but either there were no good photos of that flag or else the Soviet government didn’t think that the flag was appropriate.  The picture on that webpage is of a soldier who was sent to stand on the roof after the battle was over and to wave the flag around for the benefit of the photographer.  It wasn’t even fixed to the roof or anything like that, the guy just held it until the pictures were taken.  You can tell that the picture was taken after the fighting was all over because it’s daytime (the building was captured in the late evening), and because in the street you can see people casually wandering around.

And of course, the Apollo moon landing one is faked, too. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 June 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Accipiter - 07 June 2007 08:31 PM

I’ve seen some of those pictures.  I don’t recall seeing the birth one, the Omayra Sanchez one, the Power of One, either of the Che Guevera ones, 2Pac, or the How Life Begins one.  And I, too, can think of plenty of pictures that I would think are more famous than many of the ones they show there.

I did wonder about the photographers of the starving kid picture and the drowing kid picture.  In the first it’s actually stated that the guy took the picture and then walked away.  And in the other one, why wasn’t the photographer trying to get the girl out of the debris and water?  At least with the kids who had been napalmed, the photographer doused them with water afterwards (for what little good that would do to napalm burns).

Both of the WWII pictures of people raising flags (the one American, and the one Soviet) are sort of hoaxes.  The Iwo Jima one shows the raising of the second American flag on the mountain.  There is a picture of the first one that I see every now and then; it shows a group of troops standing around the pole while in the foreground another man with a rifle keeps watch.  The first flag had been raised something like two hours before the second one, but it was taken down (partly because it was too small, partly because various people wanted it as a souvenier).  Then the one in that more famous picture was raised.  So it wasn’t really the first flag raised.  Of course, the battle was still going on during the second picture, and the mountain still wasn’t secure.  If I remember rightly, half the people in that photo were killed within the next couple of days.

The Soviet flag in the Berlin picture wasn’t the original one raised over the Reichstag, either.  There was a home-made flag that was raised over the building by a group of soldiers who had fought their way through to the roof, but either there were no good photos of that flag or else the Soviet government didn’t think that the flag was appropriate.  The picture on that webpage is of a soldier who was sent to stand on the roof after the battle was over and to wave the flag around for the benefit of the photographer.  It wasn’t even fixed to the roof or anything like that, the guy just held it until the pictures were taken.  You can tell that the picture was taken after the fighting was all over because it’s daytime (the building was captured in the late evening), and because in the street you can see people casually wandering around.

And of course, the Apollo moon landing one is faked, too. . .

The kid, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omayra_Sanchez]Omayra S

Signature 

Trust me.

1 of 6

‹‹ Art Cars      Powered by pinscher ››