13 of 13
The Great White American Superiority complex
Posted: 06 June 2007 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

We like him for a few reasons- mainly because he’s a Republican and yet his environamental policy aggressively goes against the White House line tongue wink We love anyone sticking it to Bush, especially someone closely associated with him politically.

And he was the Terminator. And the guy in True Lies. What a film. I’d vote for him.

And democratically Bush lost the first election. Civilised countries don’t have this kind of problem wink Any more of that crap and you’ll be subject of Her Britannic Majesty again.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 06 June 2007 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Unless there is an amendment, the debate on rather Arnie can be president is moot.  He is not a natural born but rather a naturalized citizen.  No matter how many Kennedys he’s married to or assocated with.

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 06 June 2007 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
Renquist - 07 June 2007 01:36 AM

We like him for a few reasons- mainly because he’s a Republican and yet his environamental policy aggressively goes against the White House line tongue wink We love anyone sticking it to Bush, especially someone closely associated with him politically.

And he was the Terminator. And the guy in True Lies. What a film. I’d vote for him.

And democratically Bush lost the first election. Civilised countries don’t have this kind of problem wink Any more of that crap and you’ll be subject of Her Britannic Majesty again.

I agree with your assessment of Arnold, he is actually quite a good leader, before he ran he was heavily involved in school projects, especially handicapped children, also prison work, all completely on his own at his own expense.  He is able to listen and learn, and admit when he is wrong.

Pretty good guy, in my opinion.

While I did not care for Ronald Reagan myself, collectively he was quite popular here in the US.

Oh, and Bush did win Democratically (to the detriment of the world).  Under our rules, he won, pure and simple.  The fact he had more popular votes is irrelevant.  And if Gore could have won his own home state, he would have won, regardless of Florida.  And originally, the Electoral College was bound by no rules or even suggestion of rules to cast their votes in the same way as their relative constituencies; the fonding fathers did not think the common electorate should be trusted with the direct election of the President.

Dan, the supposed constitutional scholar

Posted: 07 June 2007 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27
Renquist - 06 June 2007 09:51 PM

It’s only an amendment put in place in the Cold War to prevent commies taking power. Ronald Reagan was a nutcase, and I think Big Arnie could muster the support for it tongue wink
They should ditch the ‘only two terms’ thing and let Clinton come back. He was aweome.

We call British girls here on the island “cummies”.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 June 2007 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

...I think the reason some fast food places pair up…has to do w/ food wait time.  One restaurant is allowed to leave it’s food out for X time before having to be thrown out.  Having the two facilities kitchens together means that you only have to use the rules for ONE of the restaurants…and that means that food that normally would get thrown out earlier doesn’t have to be. 

Presidents can only be elected for 2 terms.  Regardless of whether or not they are consecutive.  I do think there is also a stipulation that you can only be in office for 10 years…so if you were VICE president…and then became president not by election but b/c the president was killed or impeached…then you could still go on to be elected into the office twice, presuming your initial presidency was 2 years or less.  I think this was a law passed by congress in the early 50s or something.  Only FDR was ever elected for more than 2 terms.  Other presidents had the option, but chose not to do so. (Prior to the law passing.)

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 June 2007 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
N E O - 06 June 2007 10:01 PM
Renquist - 06 June 2007 09:51 PM

It’s only an amendment put in place in the Cold War to prevent commies taking power. Ronald Reagan was a nutcase, and I think Big Arnie could muster the support for it tongue wink

They should ditch the ‘only two terms’ thing and let Clinton come back. He was aweome.

There are so many things wrong with that post.

Sometimes I wonder if you sneak in, steal my brain, make a post, and then put it back in my head.

Renquist - 06 June 2007 10:32 PM

Reagan was popular? Really?

Yes, Reagan was quite popular. In his second term, for example, his approval rating was usually around 65%. That’s higher than Clinton’s 55%, who you just said we should re-elect. That’s even more popular than Eisenhower was in 1957.

In 1986, at Reagan’s worst, his approval rating was 46% and was back up into the upper 50s by ‘88.

Maegan - 07 June 2007 12:29 PM

Presidents can only be elected for 2 terms.  Regardless of whether or not they are consecutive.  I do think there is also a stipulation that you can only be in office for 10 years…so if you were VICE president…and then became president not by election but b/c the president was killed or impeached…then you could still go on to be elected into the office twice, presuming your initial presidency was 2 years or less.  I think this was a law passed by congress in the early 50s or something.  Only FDR was ever elected for more than 2 terms.  Other presidents had the option, but chose not to do so. (Prior to the law passing.)

One small correction: The stipulation is that if you have served for more than two years of someone else’s term then you can only be elected to the office of president once.

The Amendment also specifically covers being “elected” not “serving”. It says you may not be elected more than twice (or once if the two years thing). That pretty much means the same thing but it is a legal distinction that’s not unimportant.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 07 June 2007 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

I like the comingling of restaurants, even though Pizza Hut gets shafted.  I like being able to get chicken strips and a burrito at the same time.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Dan Jr. - 07 June 2007 02:46 AM
Renquist - 07 June 2007 01:36 AM

I agree with your assessment of Arnold, he is actually quite a good leader, before he ran he was heavily involved in school projects, especially handicapped children, also prison work, all completely on his own at his own expense.  He is able to listen and learn, and admit when he is wrong.

Pretty good guy, in my opinion.

While I did not care for Ronald Reagan myself, collectively he was quite popular here in the US.

Oh, and Bush did win Democratically (to the detriment of the world).  Under our rules, he won, pure and simple.  The fact he had more popular votes is irrelevant.  And if Gore could have won his own home state, he would have won, regardless of Florida.  And originally, the Electoral College was bound by no rules or even suggestion of rules to cast their votes in the same way as their relative constituencies; the fonding fathers did not think the common electorate should be trusted with the direct election of the President.

Dan, the supposed constitutional scholar

I meant in accordance with the principle of democracy (popular election by the people) his election went against the principle. It was democratic in accordance with the Electoral College system. You should think about changing that tongue wink

Pericles is spinning in his grave.

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

At least he can be raped in our country. wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 June 2007 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23
Charybdis - 07 June 2007 06:36 PM

At least he can be raped in our country. wink

Is that a threat or a promise? tongue wink

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 07 June 2007 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
Renquist - 07 June 2007 06:21 PM

I meant in accordance with the principle of democracy (popular election by the people) his election went against the principle. It was democratic in accordance with the Electoral College system. You should think about changing that tongue wink

Pericles is spinning in his grave.

Our voting system definitely worked for a long time but I do think it’s time for a change.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

13 of 13