1 of 3
Proof That We Actually Live on a Hollow Earth - The Tamarack Mine Experiment
Posted: 01 June 2007 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Okay, this is an old one, but I didn’t find it covered anywhere on the site. Not sure about Alex’s books.
Boingboing sums it up better than I can (especially at this hour) so I will quote them here:

Hollow Earthers’ favorite experiment analyzed

In 1901 a mining engineer named J.B. Watson was said to have dropped plumb bobs down two 4250 foot mine shafts spaced 3200 feet apart. His measurements indicated that the plumb lines were farther apart at the bottom than than they were at the top. In other words, they diverged as they descended. Common sense would tell you that the lines would converge as they descended, because the lines should point towards the center of the Earth.

For the last century, some people like to point to the Tamarack Mines experiment as proof that the Earth is hollow.

Donald E. Simanek, who writes for MAKE magazine about curious physics (here’s his article about perpetual motion that appeared in Vol 9), has an excellent article on his website that recounts the history of the alleged experiment, and examines the different frequently-offered reasons why plumb lines might diverge like this.

Link to debunking/analysis

The actual analysis is too long to paste here - it can be found at the link at the end of the quoted article above.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 June 2007 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Uhhh, how would he know the lines were not converging (as one would expect)?

Since they were down 4, 250 feet, wouldn’t that be pretty tough to figure out?

Dan the so-called expert

Posted: 01 June 2007 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Also…wouldn’t it depend on how far apart the lines were themselves & which way gravity pulled them depending on where there were?  Maybe…?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 01 June 2007 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8458
Joined  2006-02-28

Well of course they diverge… Da’ Tamarack is in ‘da U.P. of Michigan… which is Heaven.

Since everyone knows heaven is “UP”.... it is obvious why the strings diverged.

(note: explanation of Michigan humor… The Mackinac Bridge connects the Upper peninsula to the Lower peninsula… people living in the Lower peninsula are nicknamed “trolls” by those fortunate enough to reside in the Upper… )

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 01 June 2007 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

Anyone who has ever tried to use a plumb bob in their home knows how difficult it is to get the plumb bob to stop swinging. And this is a problem when the length of the plumb bob is only 7 or 8 feet. Imagine the difficulty if the plumb bob is 4000 feet long! My question is, how did Watson know the weight at the bottom had stopped moving? I suppose if you left it for a couple of days or weeks you could assume it was stationary. Then there is the problem of measuring the distance between two plumb bobs that are 4000 feet underground and 3200 feet apart. The only way I can think of (with 1901 technology) is to suspend them from a great height above the top of the hole, measure across at the ground and up at the attachment point. If done carefully this could give acceptable accuracy. Of course in modern construction work, the plumb bob is obsolete. Today they use lasers on a level. They’re quicker and more accurate.

All that aside, what we are seeing here is typical pseudo-scientific nonsense. They point to this single event and ignore the overwhelming amount of evidence that contradicts it. Has anyone repeated the experiment since and gotten similar results? In my line of work (oil and gas exploration) we drill holes in the ground every day. Often these holes are what we call directional wells. That is, after starting off vertical for 500 to 1000 meters, they intentionally go off at an angle. To get to the target location we use equipment which has accelerometers and magnetometers that tell us the angle and direction we are drilling to a fraction of a degree. We know where we have to go because seismic surveys done previously show us the places where petroleum is trapped. We know we drilled to that spot because we find oil or gas in the places the instruments tell us we drilled to. If Watson’s experiment proves the earth is hollow, then our directional drilling system, which assumes the earth is solid, would not work. So I think it’s safe to say the Hollow Earthers are full of it (pardon the pun).

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 01 June 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

It states that the bobs were immersed in oil at the bottom to minimize vibration, and I assume they waited a very long time before making measurements to assure themselves that the bobs were done swinging.  The whole setup sounds very scientifically done, I don’t think there was anything half-assed about it.  It sounds like their observations were very scientific, on the whole, trying to take things such as air currents and magnetic attraction into account on their various attempts.  And they were only replicating earlier experiments which reached similar conclusions.

Although I haven’t finished reading then entire article, I would assume the shafts ended in the straight horizontal shaft that allowed them to run a tape just as on the surface.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 01 June 2007 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Bobs that long don’t stop swinging
The motion of the earth is enough to keep them swinging

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 01 June 2007 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Wow - Chary actually read the article! LOL

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 June 2007 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27
Sharruma - 01 June 2007 07:23 PM

Bobs that long don’t stop swinging
The motion of the earth is enough to keep them swinging

That

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 01 June 2007 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

They would stop swinging eventually because of friction.  The earth’s rotation probably doesn’t wobble enough to affect them.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 01 June 2007 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 06 June 2007 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27

Trip proposed to centre of Earth via Arctic hole

A U.S. scientist and a small band of believers are planning a journey to the Canadian Arctic for what they call “the greatest geological expedition in history.”

Are they searching for Arctic oil reserves? Documenting evidence of climate change?

Not quite. They’re looking for a fog-shrouded hole in the Arctic Ocean that leads—they say—to the centre of the Earth, where an unknown civilization is lurking inside the hollow core of the planet.

This time next year, Kentucky based physicist and futurist Brooks Agnew hopes to board the commercially owned Russian icebreaker Yamal in the port of Murmansk, and to sail into the polar sea just beyond Canada’s Arctic islands.

“Everest has been climbed a hundred times,” Mr. Agnew says. “The Titanic has been scanned from stem to stern. [But] this is the first and only expedition to the North Pole opening ever attempted.”

Who is nearby and willing to join them as a MoH investigator?

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

1 of 3