1 of 1
does rice and birds realy work?
Posted: 26 May 2007 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5020
Joined  2007-05-26

The answer is yes, yes it does, apparently this is because rice expands in your stomach, now human bodies are much bigger then birds and our brain isn’t smallish, so we know when we are full up, birds don’t, so it expands it there tummy and they die,

PS: If your going to try this make sure you use dry rice as cooked rice is already expanded so it will not work.

Signature 

http://namelessland.myminicity.com/
Visit it, or you will be hurt.

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Well, insofar as birds never stay in one spot too long, and there are lots of birds in the Sacramento Delta, where an incredible amount of rice is grown, I am not sure if rice is much of a factor in causing death.

However, that is not what I primarily wanted to comment on. 

Above the initial post here is an advertised website for colon cleansing, stating ‘old food causes bloating’ or some such nonsense.

Years ago, before colonostomies existed (boy, was that a fun experience, but at least one of the nurses was pretty), anyway, it is an old belief that ancient undigested food somehow collects along the walls of the colon and then causes disease or discomfort or an urge to support Rosie O’Donnell or something.

Nothing gathers along that tube, absolutely nothing (except for those with hernias).  Even in people who do not eat right.  You can watch on the TV monitor while they probe; it is bright pink and empty of any foreign matter in everyone.

The point is, most of the hoaxes going on in this world today (and always, I think) are to do with so-called Medical Cures which are not based at all on anything credible, but play on gullibility and ignorance and the general trusting nature of the public, especially if the product is endorsed by a doctor.  And usually the ‘doctor’ got his diploma from the University of DiplomaMill.com or some such, where the doctoral thesis consists of writing a check in the proper amount.

In the UK, medical claims have to be somewhat substantiated before they can be advertised.  Here in the US, one can sell anything to anyone with total impunity, and even become incredibly wealthy, like the marketers of ‘Enzyte’ did.  (Enzyte supposedly makes one’s winkie much larger.)

When I become the Dictator of the World, I will put an end to their nonsense.

Dan, still gobbling all the ‘Enzytes’ he can, hoping that maybe they really do work

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
Dan Jr. - 26 May 2007 04:16 PM

Well, insofar as birds never stay in one spot too long, and there are lots of birds in the Sacramento Delta, where an incredible amount of rice is grown, I am not sure if rice is much of a factor in causing death.

However, that is not what I primarily wanted to comment on. 

Above the initial post here is an advertised website for colon cleansing, stating ‘old food causes bloating’ or some such nonsense.

Years ago, before colonostomies existed (boy, was that a fun experience, but at least one of the nurses was pretty), anyway, it is an old belief that ancient undigested food somehow collects along the walls of the colon and then causes disease or discomfort or an urge to support Rosie O’Donnell or something.

Nothing gathers along that tube, absolutely nothing (except for those with hernias).  Even in people who do not eat right.  You can watch on the TV monitor while they probe; it is bright pink and empty of any foreign matter in everyone.

The point is, most of the hoaxes going on in this world today (and always, I think) are to do with so-called Medical Cures which are not based at all on anything credible, but play on gullibility and ignorance and the general trusting nature of the public, especially if the product is endorsed by a doctor.  And usually the ‘doctor’ got his diploma from the University of DiplomaMill.com or some such, where the doctoral thesis consists of writing a check in the proper amount.

In the UK, medical claims have to be somewhat substantiated before they can be advertised.  Here in the US, one can sell anything to anyone with total impunity, and even become incredibly wealthy, like the marketers of ‘Enzyte’ did.  (Enzyte supposedly makes one’s winkie much larger.)

When I become the Dictator of the World, I will put an end to their nonsense.

Dan, still gobbling all the ‘Enzytes’ he can, hoping that maybe they really do work

Okay I have no idea what you just said but to your first point, What i meant was making sure there is only one bird with lots and lots of rice, which i funny cos your not aloud to throw rice in weddings anymore

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

It’s a myth. Otherwise you’d have dead birds all over rice fields. Rice farmers everywhree would rejoice at this, I’m sure. Rice expands yes, but so do most other grains, some way more than rice. Barley comes to mind. Birds also have powerful stomach muscles, eat grit to grind up things they ingest and have ACID in their stomachs as well.

And before you go there - feeding alka-seltzer to seagulls only makes them puke, they don’t explode either.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 May 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

Rice filles birds. Just shove

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
MadCarlotta - 26 May 2007 04:49 PM

It’s a myth. Otherwise you’d have dead birds all over rice fields. Rice farmers everywhree would rejoice at this, I’m sure. Rice expands yes, but so do most other grains, some way more than rice. Barley comes to mind. Birds also have powerful stomach muscles, eat grit to grind up things they ingest and have ACID in their stomachs as well.

And before you go there - feeding alka-seltzer to seagulls only makes them puke, they don’t explode either.

I am 100% sure that if a bird eats enough dried rice, it dies, this is why you are not allowed to throw rice at weddings anymore.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

You are wrong.

And you are allowed to throw rice at weddings.

My neice just got married four weeks ago in Florida and rice was thrown. Rice was also thrown at my own wedding five years ago. I’m pretty sure that my cousin Joey had rice thrown at his wedding last weekend, but I’d have to call to make sure. I just remember my mother mentioning helping his mother tie up the rice in bags of netting.

Some places that host weddings do not allow it for reasons such as clean up and insurance claims from people slipping on it afterwards, but it is hardly illegal.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

I didn’t think this was worth the bother of a Snopes search, but what the hey, I’m bored today

Against the Grain

Claim:  Rice thrown to wish newly-wedded couples well can kill their fine feathered friends.

Origins:  We’re cautioned not to throw rice at the bride and groom, because the grain will prove harmful to the birds who swoop down to eat it. The rice expands in those little birdy stomachs, causing our avian companions to explode, we’re warned. Let’s quit worrying about the birds. They’ll be fine. Seagulls don’t explode when they eat Alka-Seltzer; pigeons don’t explode when they eat rice.

This response to a 1996 Ann Landers column in which she “informed” readers about the danger rice poses to birds just about says it all:

The USA Rice Federation in Houston has a message for advice columnist Ann Landers - straighten up Cartoon of the legendand fly right when you talk about birds. In a recent column, Landers warned readers that throwing rice at weddings is unhealthy for our feathered friends: “Please encourage the guests to throw rose petals instead of rice. Rice is not good for the birds.”

“This silly myth pops up periodically, and it is absolutely unfounded,” responded rice expert Mary Jo Cheesman at the USA Rice Federation. Many migrating ducks and geese depend on winter-flooded rice fields each year to fatten up and build strength for their return trek to northern nesting grounds.

Uncooked, milled rice is no more harmful to birds than rice in the field, Cheesman said. The Curator of Ornithology at the University of California at Berkeley agrees.

“It’s a myth. There is no reason why birds, including small songbirds, can’t eat rice,” said Ned Johnson, a professor of biology at Berkeley who lectures frequently on the food and feeding of birds.

Many churchs and reception halls have rules prohibiting the throwing of confetti or rice. These rules work to keep the property clean so that the next happy couple doesn’t get its send-off amid the leavings of the previous pair. Confetti is notoriously hard to clean up; not even vacuuming a lawn will return the grass to its pristine condition.

Rice poses a unique danger. Not to birds, though; to people. Scattered on a hard surface (such as the steps of a church or a dance floor) it puts anyone who walks across that surface at risk of taking a nasty spill. Far better to prohibit rice throwing at a wedding than to end up with an injured guest.

Don’t do it for the birds, do it for the inlaws.

Barbara “slip covered” Mikkelson

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-26
MadCarlotta - 26 May 2007 05:32 PM

You are wrong.

And you are allowed to throw rice at weddings.

My neice just got married four weeks ago in Florida and rice was thrown. Rice was also thrown at my own wedding five years ago. I’m pretty sure that my cousin Joey had rice thrown at his wedding last weekend, but I’d have to call to make sure. I just remember my mother mentioning helping his mother tie up the rice in bags of netting.

Some places that host weddings do not allow it for reasons such as clean up and insurance claims from people slipping on it afterwards, but it is hardly illegal.

shut eye WHY NOT JUST GET A KNIFE AND STAB ME WILE YOUR AT IT!!!

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2007 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2005-11-27

If it will stop these nonsense threads, they might consider it.

Signature 

Always remember, “Boss is just double SOB backwards”.

1 of 1