3 of 3
Boost Car Remote With Your Skull
Posted: 24 May 2007 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

I tried it too and it did help, but not consistently nor did it add much more distance.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 24 May 2007 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Well, I tried it again and it DIDN’T work, so…..*shrugs*

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2004-04-20

I wonder if this would work with garage door openers. I’ll try it out tomorrow. Though my neighbors might wander what I’m doing standing there with a remote control pointed at my head.

Posted: 26 May 2007 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

It

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 26 May 2007 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

BTW here is a SaferFW link:

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/4917/

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 07 August 2007 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

I keep meaning to post here. This works consistently for me and also for multiple people with my car. It’s actually useful because I find the range on my remote to be quite piddly normally.

I really didn’t expect it to work, but I can produce the effect over and over. I get about one and a half times as far with it under my jaw than I do with it just in my hand. I also tried holding the remote up in the air to see if it was the elevated height (normally you’d probably hold it lower) and didn’t get the same additional distance.

Perhaps it depends on what frequencies the remote uses?

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 May 2008 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16

Necro-posting in a not-quite one year old thread.  Yay me!

So I just got an email of “Five Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do”.

Four things didn’t impress me.  They seemed to possibly be regional and/or involve entering various codes onto the phone that you’d probably never remember when you needed them.  But one of the things made me remember this thread and make me wonder whether it works or not.

So any thoughts?  Anyone interested in trying it out?  Let us know.

Have you locked your keys in the car?
> Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. This will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other “remote” for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
> Editor’s Note: It works! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!

Obviously, this only works if the “spare keys are at home” and attached to another remote keyless entry device.

The email has no information giving a source for this information so I have no idea who the “Editor” is that tried it out.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 22 May 2008 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

That seems so unlikely…I will try it when my roommate gets home though, should be pretty easy to test.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 23 May 2008 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

Hmm, wonder if this would work if there’s only one keyless entry remote and with a regular cordless phone and a cell phone?  I may have to see if Dave wants to try this.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 23 May 2008 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I knew snopes had a page on this…

Relaying remote entry system signals via telephone might work if the signals were sound-based, but they’re not. An RKE system transmits an encrypted data stream to a receiver inside the automobile via an RF (radio frequency) signal, a signal that can’t be effectively relayed via cell phone. (In any event, RKE systems and cell phones typically operate on completely different frequencies; the former in the 300 MHz range and the latter in the 800 MHz range.)

(More than a few people have inadvertantly fooled themselves into believing the cell phone method of unlocking car doors actually works because they tried it and achieved the desired results - not realizing their cars were still within range of their keyless remote devices, and the signals that unlocked the doors were transmitted the usual way [i.e., through the air], not via cellular phone connections.)

It’s possible this method might work with cars that use something different than standard RKE systems, but it doesn’t work with the vast majority of models.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 23 May 2008 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Boo - 23 May 2008 10:45 AM

I knew snopes had a page on this…

The old MOH forum does as well:

Relaying remote entry system signals via telephone might work if the signals were sound-based, but they’re not. An RKE system transmits an encrypted data stream to a receiver inside the automobile via an RF (radio frequency) signal, a signal that can’t be effectively relayed via cell phone. (In any event, RKE systems and cell phones typically operate on completely different frequencies; the former in the 300 MHz range and the latter in the 800 MHz range.)

This would be true if mobile phones were sound-based, but they’re not either. There is nothing intrinsically impossible about the RKE signal propagating as a side-band on the mobile phone signal. The difference in frequencies quoted by Snopes is a red herring, RKEs use a carrier frequency in the MHz range, the actual frequency of the datastream in a few hundred Hertz, easily capturable and transmissible by a mobile phone.

The question is really does an RKE cause detectable interference with a mobile phone at one end, and reproduce that datastream with sufficient fidelity to open the car at the other. It is very unlikely that this is so, but it is not impossible as Snopes is arguing, and certainly not for the reasons they suggest.

3 of 3