1 of 3
Tims Don’t Look Like Bobs
Posted: 22 May 2007 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

Full story

It’s easier to remember a “Bill” who really fits the bill, according to a new study.

Names tend to be associated with certain facial features

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 23 May 2007 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Reminds me of a study from the University of Leipzig (Germany). They found a correlation between names and income. And how names tend to stay in their social class etc.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 May 2007 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I’ve always believed that you can ‘look’ like a name. I’m bad with names, really bad. I’ll meet someone and sometimes get to know them quite well and not know their actual name. I just assign them the name I think they look most like. Like Toby. Toby’s realy name is Stephen. But he looks very Toby-esque.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

I hate to admit this. But I have had 14 girlfriends and they all called Monique. Drove my mom crazy. “I

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

“Michael” was a recurring name in my dating pool, so was “Scott”, but to a lesser degree. The whole “Michael” thing was kind of crazy, there were like four in a row.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21

My ex-girlfriend had three other Brandons and another ex had two.

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
MadCarlotta - 23 May 2007 04:17 PM

“Michael” was a recurring name in my dating pool, so was “Scott”, but to a lesser degree. The whole “Michael” thing was kind of crazy, there were like four in a row.

Hrmpf… that

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I don’t think I ever had two people I dated with the same name. Not the people I actually dated dated, anyway.
wink

In regards to the ‘do you resemble your name’ discussion, my mum once told me this.

“When I was pregnant with you, I was going to call you Emily or Flora. I thought they were nice, delicate, feminine names. Now…” *eyes me critically* “well, now I think Emily is a nice, delicate, feminine name.”

LOL

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 23 May 2007 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

[quote author=“Beasjt

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 23 May 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

So who is Alex….

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 23 May 2007 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-23

I’m Alex!

(Cue a flurry of Spartacus-esque posts)

Signature 

- Voltaire

Posted: 23 May 2007 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I asked my husband once if he was always “Bob” or if as a child he was Bobby or something.  He said he was always Bob even as a tot. (This is rare as most Roberts are Bobby or Robby in youth and evolve into Robert or Bob as they get older).  I asked my mother in law why he was always called Bob and she shrugged her shoulders and replied,

“Well, I just never met a Bob I didn’t like.”

I thought that was a pretty darned good answer.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

1 of 3