4 of 4
The Secret Hoax *MERGED*
Posted: 09 July 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I just posted a news story that was on the main page yesterday smile

What’s worse, is I realized later that the reason I discovered the story in the first place - was because I read it on the front page! LOL red face

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 09 July 2007 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3214
Joined  2007-05-18

Hullitoons
Why on earth would anyone wish to be so self-possessed that they

Posted: 09 July 2007 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

So punch her in the nose, Hulitoons, and tell her that it was something that you knew would make you feel more positive and that she shouldn’t fuss and complain about it as that would be simply piling up “excess baggage” for the both of you.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 July 2007 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Accipiter - 10 July 2007 03:04 AM

So punch her in the nose, Hulitoons, and tell her that it was something that you knew would make you feel more positive and that she shouldn’t fuss and complain about it as that would be simply piling up “excess baggage” for the both of you.

*Headbutt*

“I’m going for lunch. You can take care of that yourself. I’ll make sure to tell the paramedics that too. They’ll go for a few beers or something. However if they don’t believe in The Secret they might be heathen enough to toss you a bandaid.”

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 10 July 2007 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
MadCarlotta - 09 July 2007 06:58 PM

Well, it was covered on the main page here.

There was also a thread on it here

I’ll just merge the two threads if that’s alright with you smile

I like people who can laugh at themselves!  I’m always like so what if it was posted before or so what if it was on the main page.  It’s still new to somebody!! (like me).  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 11 July 2007 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2007-05-19

The Secret has made a bundle. Though I for the life of me can’t figure out why.

It’s all gullibility Yikes.

Signature 

Poems That Make You Laugh
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ErnestSlyman

Posted: 12 July 2007 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05
erslyman - 11 July 2007 09:27 PM

The Secret has made a bundle. Though I for the life of me can’t figure out why.

It’s all gullibility Yikes.

Well, now, wait, erslyman!

Of course the book about Positive Thinking made a bundle!  The author was thinking positive thoughts while writing it!

So, obviously, it works!

Actually, I think Norman Vincent Peale had a book, ‘The Power Of Positivie Thinking’ way back in the 50’s.  And the concept is certainly not new, and actually, its principles are pretty sound.  Would you have ever done much of anything, if you were cetrain you would fail at it?  I mean, try something different, instead, where your chances of success are better.

Those with a positive attitude have a certain infectious aura about them.  They may not succeed at every endeavor, but they put their best into it.  And it takes a certain positive attitude to throw your best into a project, you know?

I think the preacher-lady that Dear Hulitoons spoke of must be soem sort of nit-wit; sadly, even that profession is not immune.  Huli, you are correct in your assessment that we should aid those less fortunate, but to do so, (and this was not obvious to me, but a Reverend Dr. Scott (step-father of one of the Monkees, by the way), pointed out once, in a sermon,

“The first step in helping the poor is to not be one.”

Pretty obvious after it is pointed out, you know?

And we have to behave with a rational self-interest, or we will not survive, and we cannot raise our young.

I guess the contentious part of all that is, ‘what is rational self-interest?’

Dan, admiring Huli for sticking to her own very-advanced feelings

Posted: 12 July 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17
Dan Jr. - 12 July 2007 04:52 AM

“......................we should aid those less fortunate, but to do so, (and this was not obvious to me, but a Reverend Dr. Scott (step-father of one of the Monkees, by the way), pointed out once, in a sermon,

And we have to behave with a rational self-interest, or we will not survive, and we cannot raise our young.

I guess the contentious part of all that is, ‘what is rational self-interest?’

Dan, admiring Huli for sticking to her own very-advanced feelings

Thank you Dan for believing I have ‘advanced’ feelings.  I think that should be rephrased as SmileyCentral.com feelings? 

My own little opinion views that ‘rational self-interest’ SmileyCentral.combegins with discerning responsibility to both self and to others, where that border begins and ends, and according to self ability. 

To suppose that the best way to helping the poor is to not be one yourself branches beyond just simple self-security to what you might then be able to do to help others have what you have too….that way, you no longer have to worry about them. 

But to believe that a baby born HIV positive has selected negative thoughts prior to birth and therefore is solely responsible for his illness is ludicrous. 

On one hand though, looking positively at being poor, one might also consider:

1.  It’s less likely anyone will steal anything from you
2.  You may actually (depending on the degree of poverty) have fewer bills to worry about paying
      a.  no car note
      b.  no utility bills
      c.  no taxes to pay
      d.  you have fewer ‘things’ to worry about dusting or moving when you’re evicted
      e.  etc.

On the flip side, looking negatively at being even mildly well off you:SmileyCentral.com
      a.  have to take measures to protect what you have, both materially and in liquid assets
      b.  have to spread income through various banks and stock options (nice little complicated game)
      c.  have to be VERY sure all accounts are paid on time to protect credit records
      d.  have to figure out how to hide some income so you don’t have to pay taxes on it (like making investments or moving accounts into another name
      e.  have to be sure you keep your job or you’ll lose everything and become poor
      f.  etc.  SmileyCentral.com

Then there are the natural SmileyCentral.com catastrophes that certainly cannot be blamed on the common negativity of an entire group like Katrina’s event, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods etc.  These, of course, don’t care about positive OR negative thought patterns, they don’t discriminate.

On a positive note:  yes, I had fun with the Smileys

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 July 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23
Dan Jr. - 12 July 2007 04:52 AM

I think the preacher-lady that Dear Hulitoons spoke of must be soem sort of nit-wit; sadly, even that profession is not immune.  Huli, you are correct in your assessment that we should aid those less fortunate, but to do so, (and this was not obvious to me, but a Reverend Dr. Scott (step-father of one of the Monkees, by the way), pointed out once, in a sermon,

I don’t think that at all. You just have to be slightly better off than them.

I remember some parable where a rich man made a big show of donating a lot of money to charity and then a little old widow walks past and throws a couple of old copper coins in. The dsiciples say what a great thin the rich man has done, donating all that money, and Jesus says that the old lady’s sacrifice was far more than what the rich man had afforded.

There are lots of people most folk would class as ‘poor’ who manage to help the poor a lot more than everyone else. There’s always someone worse off than yourself, no matter how low you’ve sunk.

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 12 July 2007 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
hulitoons - 12 July 2007 11:35 PM

So I noticed. . .my eyes are still hurting.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 July 2007 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29
Accipiter - 13 July 2007 03:27 AM
hulitoons - 12 July 2007 11:35 PM

So I noticed. . .my eyes are still hurting.  wink

Me too.  Sadly half of them are little white boxes with red x’s.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

4 of 4