1 of 4
‘Poppy quarter’ behind spy coin alert
Posted: 11 May 2007 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

An odd-looking Canadian quarter with a bright red flower was the culprit behind a false espionage warning from the Defense Department about mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters, The Associated Press has learned.

The harmless “poppy quarter” was so unfamiliar to suspicious U.S. Army contractors traveling in Canada that they filed confidential espionage accounts about them. The worried contractors described the coins as “filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology,” according to once-classified U.S. government reports and e-mails obtained by the AP.

The silver-colored 25-cent piece features the red image of a poppy

Image Attachments
redpoppyquarter.jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 11 May 2007 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Yeah, that was the most asinine thing ever. Especially since if Canada really did have “spy coins”, I’m sure they wouldn’t colour them red with a big embossed poppy on them. I would imagine they would go for a design that wouldn’t draw quite so much attention to itself. rolleyes

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 11 May 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

I would love to have one for my cabinet of strange things.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 11 May 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

I’ll send you one, they are still in wide circulation. The red paint is worn off most of the ones that pass through my hands though, just bits and flecks in the crevices left.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 11 May 2007 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

A coin with a red poppy on it? That’s awesome. Way to go Canada!

Gotta get me one of them.

Seriously, why would the Canadian government
a) Put nanotechnological espionage gear in wide-circulation coins in their own country and
b) Stick a big red poppy on it- possibly the most obvious thing you could?

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 11 May 2007 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Exactly my point smile

Red poppies are everywhere here, people wear them on their lapels (fake ones) for about a month preceding Rememberance Day. It’s because of John McCrae’s poem In Flanders Field. I live in the town he was born in, so you really see them here. I’m actually trying to grow them this year but I’‘m not optimistic about them surviving.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2007 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

*mail send to MadCarlotta*

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 11 May 2007 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2006-01-19

The quarters aren’t nearly as cool as they sound, most of the time it just looks like there’s a big red dot on it, it doesn’t look like a poppy.

Posted: 11 May 2007 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

A very nice design. It’s actually the first time I’ve seen a one with paint (as part of the design smile ).

And about poppies, here in Flanders fields, they’re growing everywhere, especially between the train tracks on the line I’m commuting. And with the warm temperatures of last couple of weeks, some are already blooming.

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 11 May 2007 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02
FrostBird - 11 May 2007 07:33 PM

And about poppies, here in Flanders fields, they’re growing everywhere….

Yes, I’ve heard that they they grow there, especially between crosses row on row cheese  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2007 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
MadCarlotta - 11 May 2007 02:17 PM

I’ll send you one, they are still in wide circulation. The red paint is worn off most of the ones that pass through my hands though, just bits and flecks in the crevices left.

Oooh, could I have one too, please?
I collect old, foreign and commemorative coins.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 11 May 2007 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
Madmouse - 11 May 2007 11:20 PM

Oooh, could I have one too, please?
I collect old, foreign and commemorative coins.

*raises hand*
Me too, please?

*looks beseeching*

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

1 of 4