1 of 1
Chinese Painter Uses Tongue As a Brush
Posted: 11 October 2005 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

SHANGHAI, China (AP) - Enjoy painting but fed up with those hard-to-clean brushes? Chinese businessman Wang Yide has a way around the hassle: He paints with his tongue.

Wang, who runs a photo shop in the quiet southwestern town of Jianyan, recently gave a demonstration for journalists from a newspaper in the area, the Chengdu Evening News. He tongue-painted pictures of a lotus flower and a laughing Buddha.
“He was somewhat embarrassed when he slurped and drooled ink during his painting,” the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing the newspaper.

Wang, who Xinhua said was about 50 years old, said he learned the skill from the technique’s inventor, Huang Ernan, who died last year.
The report said Wang warned the uninitiated against trying the art without proper guidance, saying inks and pigments could be poisonous. It didn’t say, however, how he avoided poisoning himself.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051010/D8D57HS00.html

Nyeh. Doesn’t sound too weird to me…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 11 October 2005 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

People have done worse,
if he’s been doing this for a while (i.e. slowly but surely) he may have built up an immunity to it. I belive there was once a king who, thinking someone was trying to kill him, drank small vials of poison until he became immune. When these people got into his castle/palace/whatever, he got so scared that they would torture him he tried to commit suicide by drinking poison. Of course, it didnt work and he got tortured and killed by the enemy, rather than ‘on his own terms’.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 11 October 2005 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Not all paints are poisonous.  I suppose it would depend on what he mixed them with.  Hopefully not lead.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 11 October 2005 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Charybdis - 11 October 2005 05:35 PM

Not all paints are poisonous.  I suppose it would depend on what he mixed them with.  Hopefully not lead.

Exactly. There are many natural pigments that are not poisenous.

In Prehistory they used to “spray-paint” by chewing pigments in the mouth and then spitting it on the cave walls. Its how parts of the paintings at Lascaux etc. were likely made. Lorblanchet has done experiments with that and its the only way he could recreate some elements of the paintings.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 12 October 2005 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

So the technique’s inventor died last year.  It would be interesting to know what he died of.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 1