1 of 3
Conspiracy Theories and the Babi Movement: A Note From Tasmania
Posted: 01 May 2007 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-04-30

In the book “The Babi Movement: A Resource Mobilization Perspective by Peter Smith and Moojan Momen published in ‘In Iran: Studies in Babi and Bahai History vol. 3,’ ed. Peter Smith (Los Angeles: Kalimat Press, 1986) pages 33-93 the following paragraph(quoted with permission): appears:

The wider purpose of these conflicts remains a matter of controversy. However, whether or not they formed part of a carefully prepared insurrectionary conspiracy,  a view that the present authors would seriously question, the conflicts should be viewed against the background of established patterns of religious and urban violence in nineteenth-century Iran. Most Iranian towns were divided into a number of rival and religiously defined district factions, each with its own patrician patrons and local associations. Intercommunal fighting was common. Large-scale conversions to the Babi religion reflected these divisions. Again, leading ulama were linked to the factions by their patronage of groups of toughs. With the increasing assertion of clerical power, interclerical disputes were thus readily prosecuted by resort to street fighting and the physical intimidation of opponents. The persecution of Babis and their own resort to violence were not abnormal in this regard.[19] What was abnormal was the length and intensity of the resultant conflicts. The religious interests of the rival parties were crucial here. Fervent in their commitment to their cause, the Babis confronted an increasingly assertive clergy whose leaders perceived Babism as a dangerous heresy fundamentally inimical to their own interests.

I have been associated with the Baha’i Faith, the religious sequel to the Babi movement, for over 50 years and various conspiracy theories have appeared in relation to both Babism and the Baha’i Faith.  Living as I do and have in western countries where the average person I meet is more interested in car racing, football and what’s on TV, the conspiracy theories involving my religion don’t amount to much interest in either the popular press or the private lives of my friends and neighbours.  This is to be expected.  The above allusion to one of the several conspiracy theories I have come to read about since the 1950s, when I joined the Baha’i Faith, is an interesting one to me.  I do not have the time nor is there the space here to explore it. And so I leave it here in the above paragraph as my first posting at the “Hoax Forum.”.-Ron Price, Tasmania

Signature 

married for 41 years, a teacher for 35 years and a Baha’i for 49 years. I have 3 books on the internet all available free of charge.

Posted: 01 May 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

SPAM

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 01 May 2007 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-30

As it has long been said:

” my cat ran over your dog.”

or

“my karma ran over your dogma.”

or

“destiny precedes rules and morals.”

or

“in the end the philosophical question is complex”

or

“whom the gods would destroy they first make simple
and simpler and simpler.”

Signature 

married for 41 years, a teacher for 35 years and a Baha’i for 49 years. I have 3 books on the internet all available free of charge.

Posted: 01 May 2007 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

So far Ron has posted 3 times.

Twice to push his Bahai faith, and once to make non-sequiter remarks he probably thinks are really clever.

Could Ron be the new ‘Better Look Again’? Watch this space…

Posted: 01 May 2007 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

No big deal, but your post says you’ve been involved with Bahai over 50 years but your signature says only 48 years.

I read the post, and it’s a little tight for my comprehension.  Could you maybe dummy the conspiracy part down to a sentence or two?  I’m not sure I understand the conspiracy.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 01 May 2007 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-04-30

Rather than pursue an obscure,obscure for most anyway, even if simplified, conspiracy theory associated with the Baha’i Faith, I think I will just widen the field somewhat. Most people who would come to a sight like this would be interested in, follow and/or be exposed to more western conspicacy theories and political events; for example in North or South America, in the pentagon, vis-a-vis aliens etc. etc. So, may I suggest, the followng perspectives to widen the Baha’i focus here a little—but keep the conspiracy/conflict theory in the Middle East still with a Baha’i focus. I will suggest four areas:
_________________________#1:
A number of new religious communities have been emerging in Egypt since the second half of the nineteenth century. The most important of them - both numerically and in terms of the attention they attract - are the Baha’i Faith and the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Both groups have been officially dissolved or face various kinds of restrictions and face strong opposition from the established religions as well as a number of legal problems.
_________________________#2:
Since the New Age Movement is so highly complex and elusive, it is not very easy to evaluate it, but I am sure it will never be evaluated by the Bahais in the same sort of context as it has been by some Evangelical churches; for example, that it is a “Satanic Conspiracy.”  Bahais do not believe in Satan and the whole idea of conspiracy theory does not hold a great deal of credence to many, although from my point of view the water is cloudy and complex. The Bahai Faith seems to be in agreement with quite a few categories of the New Age Movement but not with other categories, i.e. monism, pantheism, and reincarnation. Yet, I think that the greatest agreements between the New Age Movement and the Bahai Faith are David Spangler’s third and fourth levels of the New Age, that it is an image of change, part of a transformation/paradigm shift.  I think the Baha’i Faith reflects the birth of the sacred and a resacralizing of life on earth and that the “new age is fundamentally a spiritual event” and has more to do with this than any complex and subtle or not-so-subtle conspiracy theory.

Moreover, according to Spangler “the phrase an emerging planetary culture is replacing the phrase an emerging new age . . .” which also would be in complete harmony with the Bahai view.
____________________________#3
The following article is interesting for those who adopt conspiracy orientations vis-a-vis Baha’i.  But, for my money, the keynote is not conspiracy.  Like so many historical questions it is too difficult to simplify into a paragraph. So I leave readers with this article: The Babi and Baha’i community of Iran: A case of suspended genocide? Moojan Momen. The source is: Journal of Genocide Research, Volume 7, Number 2, June 2005, pp. 221-241(21).
____________________________#4
Also readers might follow-up: Craig M. Joseph, “Conspiracy Thinking in the Middle East , Heshmat Moayyad (Ed.), Association for Baha’i Studies, Ottawa, Canada ... “Iran: A Theory of Revolution.
Reader at this site, being interested in conspiracy theory as they are, are advised—at least from my point of view anyway—to pursue, the wider ambit of conspiracy theory rather than focus on any one issue or problem like Baha’i.  A knowledge of history, politics, sociology and psychology are essential, indeed, indispensable to really come to grips with any such theory as applied to the Baha’i Faith or any other facet of life in the Middle East. That is all for now.-Ron Price, Tasmania, Australia.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2007 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7356
Joined  2005-06-23

I’m not so sure I trust religious endorsements from someone whose signature on a hoax forum is an advertisement for their own books on the subject…

Signature 

“We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation.”
- Voltaire

Posted: 01 May 2007 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Well, at least they are FREE books. rolleyes

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 May 2007 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
David B. - 01 May 2007 11:50 AM

Could Ron be the new ‘Better Look Again’? Watch this space…

I meant new ‘Mukunda dasa’. All the nutters tend to fade into one generic loon after a while.

(I may have to resurrect the Parables of Dêbee!)

Posted: 01 May 2007 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27
RonPrice - 01 May 2007 12:35 PM

_________________________#1:

_________________________#2:

____________________________#3

____________________________#4

I think it

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 01 May 2007 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

So the dummied down version is twice as long as the original which I didn’t understand either?

Never mind, I’ll just jump over to the joke section…

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 02 May 2007 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2894
Joined  2005-06-15

You’ve got to watch out for some of these Tasmanians. We Victorians tend to be a bit more normal (just a bit mind you).

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

1 of 3