1 of 2
Japanese swindled by sheep sold as poodles - URBAN LEGEND/HOAX
Posted: 26 April 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21629305-2,00.html

I have to wonder, could 2000 people REALLY have been fooled? That’s a pretty successful scam if it was.
I would have thought a baby lamb could be a fun pet for a while anyway(until it grows up).

Japanese swindled by sheep sold as poodles
April 27, 2007 01:00am
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
THOUSANDS of Japanese have been swindled in a scam in which they were sold Australian and British sheep and told they were poodles.

Flocks of sheep were marketed as fashionable accessories - available at $1600 each - by a company called Poodles as Pets.

A real poodle retails for twice that much in Japan.

The scam was uncovered when Japanese film star Maiko Kawamaki went on a talk-show and wondered why her new pet would not bark or eat dog food.

She was crestfallen when told it was a sheep.

Hundreds of other women got in touch with police to say they feared their new “poodle” was also a sheep.

One couple said they became suspicious when they took their “dog” to have its claws trimmed and were told it had hooves.

Police believe there could be 2000 people affected by the scam.

Posted: 26 April 2007 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10
AussieBruce - 26 April 2007 08:12 PM

One couple said they became suspicious when they took their “dog” to have its claws trimmed and were told it had hooves.

They hadn’t noticed?
This sounds highly dubious to me…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 26 April 2007 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I really can’t believe this is true.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 26 April 2007 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Oh please, that is so stupid.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 26 April 2007 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I’m having trouble buying this one too. I was going to post it in hoaxes earlier actually.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 26 April 2007 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The baaaaa-ing and eating grass might be a bit of a clue, too. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 April 2007 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  405
Joined  2005-10-26

I could believe that one or two fell for it. A young lamb to someone that hasnt seen many animals might fool them. They are white and curly haired after all.
But, surely they knew they would eventually be caught. They couldnt be hanging around selling them forever - definitely a ‘fly by nighter’.

Posted: 27 April 2007 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Seems it’s a hoax. Big surprise, eh? wink

Poodle scam story a hoax
Friday Apr 27 13:00 AEST

By Shaun Davies
ninemsn

Police in Japan have denied knowledge of a scam where rich Japanese women who wanted a poodle as a pet were deceived into buying sheep.

English newspaper The Sun reported that Australian sheep had been sold to rich women as poodles by a company in Sapporo, Japan.

The story has since been reported internationally by newspapers and websites in the UK, America, New Zealand and South Africa.

advertisement
Earlier today it was run on most major news websites in Australia, including ninemsn.

The Sun reported the scam was blown when Japanese movie star Maiko Kawakami complained on an unnamed talk show that her “poodle” was unable to bark or eat pet food.

The newspaper said a police spokesman in Japan had confirmed the company, called “Poodles As Pets”, had been shut down.

But a public relations spokesman for Hokkaido police, whose jurisdiction includes Sapporo, said he had not heard of the scam.

The spokesman refused to elaborate on Kawakami’s comments, as it “was not a police matter”.

Details about Kawakami’s statement also appear to have been misreported. Japanese-language blogs about Kawakami say the movie star actually told a story about a friend who bought a sheep instead of a poodle at a pet shop.

Kawakami told the story on the Fuji Television show Gokigenyou. She said her friend took the “poodle” to a vet, who then asked her, “you think this is a poodle”?

A producer for the Gokigenyou told ninemsn she could not comment on the story’s authenticity, as she was not Maiko Kawakami. But she said she had not heard about the 2000 other people reportedly scammed by the poodle bandits.

Tall stories are common on Japanese talk shows and their authenticity is not carefully checked.

A Tokyo-based entertainment and culture reporter said she had not heard of the story. The story had not been reported in any Japanese newspapers, she said.

The Sun reported that because sheep were rare in Japan, people there were not able to distinguish between a sheep and a poodle.

But sheep have been bred in Sapporo for many years. In 1848, an American farmer named Edwin Dun came to Sapporo to set up a sheep farm.

Near to the hi-tech Sapporo Dome Sports Stadium is a hill called Hitsukigaoka, which means “sheep hill”.

“If you like sheep, this is the place for you,” a travel website says.

Tokyo resident Sakurako Sugata said she had not heard of the story before today. She said she didn’t believe a word of it.

“Buying a sheep instead of a poodle? It’s ridiculous!” Ms Sugata said.

“If you want to keep the sheep and cut it up and eat it, then that would be a good idea, but that story’s just stupid.”

“No-one with any intelligence would buy a sheep instead of a poodle.”

Sounds like a variation of the rat/dog from Mexico Urban legend. Moving thread to hoaxes now smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 27 April 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I would LOVE a baby sheep for a pet!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 27 April 2007 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-02

Yeah, except they grow up into smelly big sheep. And I like sheep.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2007 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15278
Joined  2006-01-17
MadCarlotta - 27 April 2007 03:14 PM

Yeah, except they grow up into smelly big sheep. And I like sheep.

Heh, that’s Chris’s usual reason for not letting me adopt various animals.
Me: Oooh, that tiger cub is so cute! Can I have one?
Chris: No, you can’t, and you know why…
Me: Because it’ll grow up and get enormous and eat me?
Chris: Yup
Me: Awww… downer

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 April 2007 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Heh, unless the sheep in Scotland are particularly mutant, I don’t think that they’d eat you….

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

1 of 2

‹‹ Burger king special      Scam my dog, please. ››