3 of 4
List of greatest children’s books announced
Posted: 25 April 2007 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16

I haven’t posted because I was waiting to see how many other sheltered children were here.

The only book on that list I’ve heard of is The Borrowers.  Don’t remember if I actually read it, though, or just saw a television or movie adaptation of it.

I have definitely read all the Narnia books, though.  Several times.  Starting when I was young.  And the summer before the movie came out I re-read them all.  It was funny to read them again as an (non-religious) adult and see all the very clear religious allusions.  (Though I’m sure some of them were lost on me.  Like the snow in the L, W & W was supposed to represent something I once read.  Don’ remember what it was and I’m not sure I was familiar enough with Christianty to have understood it before.  Of course, since I didn’t pick it up on reading I obviously wasn’t.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Oh and the same for the LotR.  I had never heard of those either until the movies came out.  Anything to do with magic and mystical things was a no no.  But fairy tales were ok, whats the dif?

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
N E O - 25 April 2007 09:11 PM

Oh and the same for the LotR.  I had never heard of those either until the movies came out.  Anything to do with magic and mystical things was a no no.  But fairy tales were ok, whats the dif?

Would you please give me your parents’ address so I can go slap them?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

Their address is the same as mine right now (unfortunately), and you probably have access to that.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
N E O - 25 April 2007 09:11 PM

Oooh.  You had one of THOSE families.  wink

I know people like that.  They won’t let their kids see movies or read books that involve anything magical.  So, their kid is possibly the only 11 year old in the world that doesn’t know anything about Harry Potter.

Frankly…it’s fiction.  It’s MAKE BELIEVE.  It came out of someone’s imagination.  Pretend.  There are plenty of REAL horrible stories I’d rather shelter my kid from than a make-believe story of a little wizard boy riding a broom.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

I think you can be religious and not be so uptight also.  Reading a Harry Potter book is not going to cause me to be possessed and start casting spells to cause MC to want me.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
N E O - 25 April 2007 09:17 PM

Their address is the same as mine right now (unfortunately), and you probably have access to that.

Oh.  Great.  I’ll plan a road trip this weekend. cheese

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

MY dad is actually in post falls right now, so that is not so far away.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Funny thing about that is that C.S. Lewis is considered a Christian writer. That’s why his books were in the library of the Baptist school I went to, but Oz books were banned.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 25 April 2007 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-16
N E O - 25 April 2007 09:44 PM

MY dad is actually in post falls right now, so that is not so far away.

Not far at all since I live in Post Falls.  (Though I’m currently at work in Coeur d’Alene.)

But I was going to slap your mom.  More manly that way. rolleyes

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2007 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-29

Yeah, my mom would probably rip you in half and stomp you into a puddle of goo.

Signature 

3 of 4