1 of 4
List of greatest children’s books announced
Posted: 23 April 2007 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

The UK’s oldest award for children’s writing, the Carnegie Medal, has selected 10 former winners to mark the 70th anniversary of the award.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6574691.stm

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I’d vote for The Owl Service.

I love that book.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I liked Northern Lights, but am surprised the Narnia lot aren’t on there (at least one of them!)

I used to love those books.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I haven’t heard of any of them.  Maybe they don’t translate well.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I’d vote for The Borrowers. smile
I’m surprised that none of the Narnia series is there too.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2006-08-21
Madmouse - 23 April 2007 09:26 PM

I’d vote for The Borrowers. smile
I’m surprised that none of the Narnia series is there too.

I really didn’t like the Narnia books I read…I didn’t read them when I was a youngster though…

Signature 

Three out of four, that aint half bad…

Posted: 23 April 2007 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I love the Narnia books. I still re-read them all the time. I especially love Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 23 April 2007 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
MadCarlotta - 23 April 2007 10:30 PM

I love the Narnia books. I still re-read them all the time. I especially love Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

That one and the first one (The magician’s nephew I believe) I didn’t like as much as the others. Maybe I was a fussy child. 

I liked The Horse and His Boy, but when I was a kid I adored horses, so that was probably why.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 24 April 2007 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

I recently bought a copy of Tom’s Midnight Garden to read to my daughter at bedtime, but she’s still a bit young (Roald Dahl is about as much as she can manage), maybe later.

I am very surprised Stig of the Dump isn’t on the list!

Posted: 24 April 2007 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I thought Narnia was “YA” or Young Adult in the libraries here.  In the US we have the Caldecott winners.  I guess it’s sort of similar.  (Okay, I just did a quick look, and it is in JUVENILE fiction??)

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 April 2007 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I just thought of something else…at the county libraries, there is a “children’s picture book” section.  Which is for children’s books…but not necessarily books that children could read on their own.  They are books that would be read TO kids by parents or teachers or whatever.  Then the Easy Reader section, which is children’s books that children who can read would read alone, or with some help as they learn to read.  Then you get into Juv Fic, which is the chapter books & things.  Are the Carnegie books picture books (that have wonderful illustrations, but wouldn’t actually be read by a child alone) or are they chapter books?  That might explain the difference.  And then YA (young adult) would be more of the Christopher Pike (well, back in my day anyway) and books that are more intense…maybe for highschool students, rather than middle school.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 April 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe in grade school. It was either in second or fifth grade because I skipped third and fourth. Fifth grade makes more sense. Excerpts of it were in our English school book, but the teacher had us read the entire novel as well.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

1 of 4