1 of 1
Mystery Ocean Glow Confirmed in Satellite Photos/ STATUS: True
Posted: 06 October 2005 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

found this interesting story while browsing around.

Mariners have long told of rare nighttime events in which the ocean glows intensely as far as the eye can see in all directions.
Fictionally, such a “milky sea” is encountered by the Nautilus in Jules Verne classic “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.”

http://www.livescience.com/othernews/051004_sea_glow.html

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 06 October 2005 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

you think it might be a hoax?

Posted: 06 October 2005 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2005-03-30

It very well could be. You can’t tell it’s the ocean from the pic. It could be something else.

Posted: 06 October 2005 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

There, I fixed the post to say “true”....

Posted: 06 October 2005 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

It has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (see here), so it is true probably.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 06 October 2005 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

I’ve seen something similar here in San Diego—the waves seemed to glow, but most impressively the water glowed blue-green when I peed in it.  I also have memories as a young boy seeing glowing seaweed on the beach; it would glow more when I stomped on it.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 07 October 2005 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05
buba - 06 October 2005 08:26 PM

you think it might be a hoax?

just for the record, no, I dont think this is a hoax. The site I read the story on is reliable, many credible sources are mentioned and as LaMa said “It has been published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.”

I will quote LaMa again on whether this is real or not….“so it is true probably.”

If you are questioning whether this should be posted in the “Hoaxes” category as opposed to the “News” category I would say that this story is “hoax-related” as it is a phenomena that has been reported and speculated about in the past with many causes suggested…hoax being one.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 07 October 2005 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Good wording Chuck…...I guess everyone is missing where I placed the Status of “True”....

Posted: 07 October 2005 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Citizen Premier - 06 October 2005 11:38 PM

I’ve seen something similar here in San Diego—the waves seemed to glow, but most impressively the water glowed blue-green when I peed in it.  I also have memories as a young boy seeing glowing seaweed on the beach; it would glow more when I stomped on it.

That is related to ” milky sees” but not the same. It occurs when tiny organisms called “dinoflagellates” are present, that send out short flashes of light when agitated.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 October 2005 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I’ve seen the water glowing before…but it’s actually easier to see if you’re a bit off from it.  Like if you’re on land, looking out into the water…When we tried to move into the water to see it up close, it was sort of like an oasis…it kept moving off…but then again, that could have had to do with the current and tide and all.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 09 October 2005 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
Maegan - 09 October 2005 11:48 AM

I’ve seen the water glowing before…but it’s actually easier to see if you’re a bit off from it.  Like if you’re on land, looking out into the water…When we tried to move into the water to see it up close, it was sort of like an oasis…it kept moving off…but then again, that could have had to do with the current and tide and all.

Not oasis; you mean mirage.  Tut tut.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 10 October 2005 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Citizen Premier - 09 October 2005 11:28 PM
Maegan - 09 October 2005 11:48 AM

Not oasis; you mean mirage.  Tut tut.

Oooh.  You’re RIGHT.  red face

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 1