1 of 2
Reality TV show sends fat kids hunting
Posted: 17 April 2007 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

A BRITISH reality television program to be filmed in Australia this winter will force fat children to hunt for food with Aborigines.

In Fat Kids Can’t Hunt 10 fat youngsters will live with Aboriginal tribesmen in Australia for a month.

If the children want to eat, they must follow the strict rules of the Aborigines, eating plants, grasses and fruits as well as trapping, killing and cooking any animals or insects they find.

If they do not eat the bush tucker, they go hungry.

Made by made by Big Brother producer Endemol, Fat Kids Can’t Hunt is designed to help overweight children tackle overeating problems

It follows a similar BBC3 program earlier this year called Fat Men Can’t Hunt which sent obese men into the desert in Namibia.

Full story

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 03 May 2007 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

I caught a couple of episodes of Fat Men Can’t Hunt.
It was ok, as reality shows go.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 May 2007 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

...Yeah, but isn’t there generally reasons other than hunger for over eating?  It can be psychological right?  So…they fix the kid’s need/desire to constantly eat by shoving him out in the wild…but that food addiction won’t go away…it might just switch to a different addiction??

There are lots of reasons that children especially overeat (like b/c their PARENTS are that way…and are preparing the wrong sorts of food in the home)...and it will do nothing for them if they go out into the bush & then go home where mom & dad are making chicken fried steak w/ gravy.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 04 May 2007 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, the idea behind the adult version was to show them that they don’t have to eat rubbish all the time, and to make them see that there are people out there to whom this is the only choice of food. If you don’t hunt or gather your food, you go without.

It encouraged the people (most of whom had poor self-esteem) to work as a team, to challenge themselves, and to change their views on food. It seemed to work for most of them.

Now, bear in mind that I only saw two or three episodes of the programme.

I would hope that, for the children’s version, they will also be working with the families at home*, to ensure that this doesn’t just become a holiday from eating as they always did. I also assume they’ve screened the families carefully as to who wants to do this properly, as a way of changing their eating habits permanently, and who just wants to be on TV.

*As they did in a recent short series, I Know What You Ate Last Summer.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 04 May 2007 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Here’s for hopin’!  smile

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 04 May 2007 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Ain’t nothin’ wrong with chicken fried steak and gravy!

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 05 May 2007 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

...Breakfast of champions!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 May 2007 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I got a min-lecture from my veterinarian last week as Lulu had gained some weight since her last visit.  He was very nice about it, but gently reminded us that it was “Mom and Dad’s fault” that the kiddos were getting plump.  We’ve been limiting portions and have had minimal complaints.  Just a few barks from Lulu who had figured out the evil plan.

So I guess if the parents don’t have the snacks in the house or only make enough dinner for one serving, the child isn’t going to overeat.  Unless they walk to the store for that candy bar.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 06 May 2007 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5151
Joined  2005-01-27

You take your kid to the vet?

mmmkkaayyyyy

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 06 May 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

No, they just generically call the animals kids or babies and the humans mom and dads at our vet clinic.  Hence, her “barking” about her smaller food portions.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 06 May 2007 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Jocelynn barks & pants sometimes…I was unsure if Lulu was a dog or not.  wink

LOL

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 May 2007 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

You should stop feeding Jocelynn dog food, Maegan. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2