1 of 2
Researchers reconstruct 1918 killer virus
Posted: 05 October 2005 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP)—Scientists have made from scratch the Spanish flu virus that killed as many as 50 million people in 1918, the first time an infectious agent behind a historic pandemic has ever been reconstructed.

Read more….. http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/10/05/1918.flu.pandemic.ap/index.html

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this???

Posted: 05 October 2005 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

I haven’t read the article yet, but the reason they would do something like this, Stephen, is so that they can create vaccines and such against it. No matter how dead something is, it tends to suprise us by coming back. I’d rather be ready.

Posted: 06 October 2005 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

I know that Noni…....I find it interesting that they recreate a virus that killed 50 million people. It’s like a nuke, They are used to protect us but if an accident happened…..WHAM!!!!!

Posted: 06 October 2005 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

I’m concerned that accidents would happen (see the missing smallpox that’s happened before, tho luckily that is “ok”-ish) but I just have to trust that the CDC would be smart enough to keep it properly safe since they have the means to supposedly do so. I’d still rather have the chance that they would have worked on it enough to be able to cure it, or use it as a means to control similar diseases if the needs arrived.

Posted: 06 October 2005 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2005-03-30

Did they ever find that missing smallpox?  They don’t tell us hicks anything unless it’s really important.

Posted: 09 October 2005 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

at least I’m safe, stuck on a little island on the other side of the world is pretty good sometimes! smile

I wonder if this virus can swim?

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 09 October 2005 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Dany - 06 October 2005 08:45 PM

Did they ever find that missing smallpox?  They don’t tell us hicks anything unless it’s really important.

If I didn’t miss the news on it, I don’t think so.

Posted: 09 October 2005 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
thunderstruck - 09 October 2005 04:57 PM

at least I’m safe, stuck on a little island on the other side of the world is pretty good sometimes! smile

I wonder if this virus can swim?

It can fly. Aboard airplanes (smallpox and flu), and aboard birds (flu).

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 10 October 2005 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I know. I thought of that after I posted it.
ah well. guess I wouldnt make that good of a prime minister then smile
Lucky that’s not what I wanna be!

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 16 October 2005 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-25

After the scientists have sequenceed the Spanish Flu virus DNA they can compare it to other flu virus DNA such as Avian Bird Flue… and if you have been watching the news lately you’ll know that Bird flu is a really big deal. In fact, W.Bush was just on tv last week saying that since the USA fforgot to update their Bird flue vaccines in Aug.05, that there is a potential for a real problem. What kind of problem is W.Bush imagining? well in his address he recommended the deployment of US military for quarentine purposes.. why cuz bush loves giving billion dollar grants to his best friends and only the military has experience (successs?) in surrounding entire cities…. Bahgdad, New Orleans, New York, etc…. here’s the scoop direct from the white house propaganda machine….
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171230,00.html

Posted: 16 October 2005 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-09-25

I just read a little more about the evolving conspiracy surrounding Bush and the Bird Flu and how it relates to the origins of the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918….
the following is quoted from:
http://www.freemarketnews.com/Analysis/134/2599/2005-10-13.asp?wid=134&nid=2599
———————————-

OK, I’m not worried about bird flu. But I am worried about the hysteria surrounding it - which is being whipped up by these world bodies.

And therefore, knowing how things work, I’m concerned about what is being done to “combat” it. We carried an article on that today, here at FMNN, and I find myself agreeing with much of it. It begins as follows, “Little known but much too broad, Project Bioshield is a $5.6 billion program President Bush signed into law in July 2004 that would apparently strip U.S. citizens of any recourse in the event that the feds decide on certain health-care remedies. These would presumably include the mandatory application of unproven vaccines to counter real or perceived health threats worldwide.”

Now I wasn’t entirely familiar with Project Bioshield, but if the President did sign it into law, it’s just one more thing he’s done I disagree with. It’s obvious Bush has major disasters on his mind. He’s been worried about an attack from one of those pocket nukes, and now he’s worred about bird flu.

He doesn’t read very much, but he recently made a point of mentioning he’d read a book about bird flu - just as he makes a point about mentioning martial law almost every time he gives a press conference these days. Congressman Ron Paul is right. He’s got martial law on the brain. And more than that, it turns out that he’s probably got a number of military laboratories mixing up batches of bird flu right now! Not to spread of course, but as vaccines.

What bothers me is that Bush seems to be using the bird flu scare to manufacture this awful mutated human virus. Don’t take my word for it. Here’s Leonard G. Horowitz, DMD, MA, MPH who just posted an article on this very subject on a major alternative news site. The article is entitled Avian Flu Fright - Politically-Timed For Global ‘Iatrogenocide,’ and our news article above quotes liberally from it:

“Leonard G. Horowitz, DMD, MA, MPH writes that the current hysteria over Avian flu, which Bush seems to share, is actually resulting in its manufacture in military laboratories in the United States and abroad. He points out that the Avian Flu, currently causing the slaughter of thousands of wild birds, has shown no propensity to “mutate” and jump to humans - and in fact such a mutation is highly unlikely. Rather, what will happen, he predicts, should the hysteria continue unabated is that the West will respond to public concerns by first creating and then making available a vaccine for which there is as yet no disease; in other words - since a vaccine is a weak form of what it is intended to combat - introduce into the real world the deadly virus that probably would not otherwise make its appearance.”

And he adds, “To make the human vaccine specific for the H5N1 mutant virus, you must start with the human virus which does not yet exist, except in perhaps military-biomedical-pharmaceutical laboratories. In fact, this is precisely what is being prepared based on news reports. To produce the human pathogen, the avian virus must be cultured for lengthy periods of time in human cell cultures, then injected into monkeys and ultimately humans to see if these experimental subjects get the same feared flu. Thus, the flu virus the world currently fears most is either: 1) now being prepared in labs paid by industrialists with massive wealth-building incentives to “accidentally release the virus; or 2) has already been prepared in such labs to take advantage of this current fright and future sales following the virus’s release.

Posted: 16 October 2005 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Well, as I’ve heard, the bird flu has already spread to humans (about 250), and it has killed 50% of them.  Compare to the Spanish flu, which killed ~25% of those infected.  On the one hand, you’d think it would mutate into a less deadly form so it could spread better, but on the other had one has to remember that the population is a lot higher these days and the virus doesn’t have to let you live very long before you can pass it on to many other people.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

1 of 2