2 of 2
April Fool’s
Posted: 04 April 2007 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

And a Florida newspaper apparently took in a few of the gullible, too.

April Fools joke panics Longboat residents

Longboat Key residents are very protective of their community. So a front-page story in last week’s Longboat Observer that a $53 million project to four-lane Gulf of Mexico Drive would take away sidewalks and part of a golf course caused an uproar.

The story gained more impetus on Monday when the Herald-Tribune published a letter from a worried resident saying the scenic road that runs the length of Longboat Key would be ruined.

Just one problem: None of the disgruntled residents noticed that the date on the front page was April 1 or read the “Gotcha” disclaimer notice on Page 4.

The hoax story and letter resulted in about two dozen complaints to the Florida Department of Transportation, where bemused officials reassured callers their sidewalks and golf course were safe.

“We just don’t want people to be upset,” said FDOT spokeswoman Cindy Clemmons-Adente. “We want people to know that it’s not happening; it’s not even on our radar.”

Posted: 04 April 2007 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
MaxRascal - 04 April 2007 01:55 PM

And a Florida newspaper apparently took in a few of the gullible, too.

April Fools joke panics Longboat residents

Longboat Key residents are very protective of their community. So a front-page story in last week’s Longboat Observer that a $53 million project to four-lane Gulf of Mexico Drive would take away sidewalks and part of a golf course caused an uproar.

The story gained more impetus on Monday when the Herald-Tribune published a letter from a worried resident saying the scenic road that runs the length of Longboat Key would be ruined.

Just one problem: None of the disgruntled residents noticed that the date on the front page was April 1 or read the “Gotcha” disclaimer notice on Page 4.

The hoax story and letter resulted in about two dozen complaints to the Florida Department of Transportation, where bemused officials reassured callers their sidewalks and golf course were safe.

“We just don’t want people to be upset,” said FDOT spokeswoman Cindy Clemmons-Adente. “We want people to know that it’s not happening; it’s not even on our radar.”

Heh, they always make me smile when nobody figures out the prank smile

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 05 April 2007 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Robin Bobcat - 03 April 2007 04:05 PM

Well, I ‘forked’ a friend’s lawn, so that’s my contribution.

I was sort of hoping someone else would ask, but I suppose I’m the only ignorant one.  What does that mean?  Something like a “lawn job” (doing “donuts” to tear up the grass)?

BTW thanks all for the posts on this thread!  I feel so out of it—I didn’t catch any of these things “live” on that most blessed and sacred day, the First of April.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 05 April 2007 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15030
Joined  2006-08-16
JoeDaJuggler - 05 April 2007 04:27 AM

I was sort of hoping someone else would ask, but I suppose I’m the only ignorant one.  What does that mean?  Something like a “lawn job” (doing “donuts” to tear up the grass)?

Get a whole lot of plastic forks, a bunch of friends, a target lawn, wait until nightfall and then stick all the forks in the lawn.  It’s one of those silly low-on-the-vandalism-scale of things to do like toilet papering the trees/house/lawn.

BTW thanks all for the posts on this thread!  I feel so out of it—I didn’t catch any of these things “live” on that most blessed and sacred day, the First of April.

I think it was a relatively light year for stuff, personally.  The good old Google stuff came through with flying colors.  But there wasn’t much else in the mainstream and nothing we heard a lot about.  I personally attribute that to it being on a Sunday.  But the lack of April Fools my just be my perspective.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 05 April 2007 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Tah - 05 April 2007 04:47 AM

Get a whole lot of plastic forks, a bunch of friends, a target lawn, wait until nightfall and then stick all the forks in the lawn.  It’s one of those silly low-on-the-vandalism-scale of things to do like toilet papering the trees/house/lawn.

Sigh. . . I’m so out of touch. 

I dunno—I think it would be more of a statement if you used sporks.  Or better yet you could Gellerize the lawn:  use bent forks.

I had some friends who used to cover someone’s front yard with dozens of those pink flamingos.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

Ah yes, that old classic media gag that never fails to get attention.

Let’s raise taxes.

The Barbeque Tax

Belgium local authorities deny barbequing tax reports

BRUSSELS, April 4 (RIA Novosti) - The government of Wallonia has refuted allegations of plans to introduce a tax on barbequing in this Belgian French-speaking region.

Reports appeared in local media earlier in the month that a law had been approved to charge residents of the 4-million-strong region 20 euros for each grilling session beginning in June.

“We have repeatedly denied this information, which is nothing but an April Fool’s Day joke. But we never imagined it would create such a fuss,” said the press secretary of Wallonia’s minister for agricultural, rural affairs, the environment and tourism.

The media had said the new law was needed as an environmental measure and cited experts as saying that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, was emitted during barbequing. Scientists believe CO2 emissions are a major cause of global warming.

According to the allegations, helicopters, equipped with thermal sensors to detect burning grills, were to have monitored compliance with the new tax legislation.

April Fool’s Day is celebrated in many countries April 1 by playing hoaxes and practical jokes on friends, enemies and neighbors. The practice is sometimes observed in mass media.

Belgian media was implicated in another practical joke last December when state television broke into its regular programming with a report that the Dutch-speaking half of the country, Flanders, had declared its independence and that the king and queen had fled.

Panic ensued, with frantic calls being placed by foreign embassies and Belgian citizens to the government demanding an explanation, and order was only restored when the state-owned RTBF television station admitted the report was a hoax.

Even managed to take in the Wall Street Journal Opinion Page.

Posted: 06 April 2007 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
JoeDaJuggler - 05 April 2007 06:52 AM
Tah - 05 April 2007 04:47 AM

Sigh. . . I’m so out of touch. 

I dunno—I think it would be more of a statement if you used sporks.  Or better yet you could Gellerize the lawn:  use bent forks.

I had some friends who used to cover someone’s front yard with dozens of those pink flamingos.

Yeah.. it’s even easier to clean up than TP, honestly, and looks a lot more ‘stylish’, so event he victims can appreciate it.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

2 of 2