1 of 2
April Fool’s
Posted: 02 April 2007 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

I had a very busy weekend, so I sort of missed a lot.  Was there any really good April Fool’s pranks yesterday?  NPR has done some in the past.  Anyone catch anything?  Anyone taken in by any of them?

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 02 April 2007 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

The only one here that I heard about was done by one of the cable music channels, Kerrang. They play rock/metal music, but each time a new video started the first 30 seconds or so were Celine Dion, boybands, etc.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 April 2007 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

World of Warcraft announced a new in-game tinfoil hat that seems right at home on here.

Equip: Allows the wearer to see “the truth.” May lead to an incontrollable urge to share “the truth” with others.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 02 April 2007 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Madmouse - 02 April 2007 06:52 PM

The only one here that I heard about was done by one of the cable music channels, Kerrang. They play rock/metal music, but each time a new video started the first 30 seconds or so were Celine Dion, boybands, etc.

That would get soooo annoying!

Though I don’t even have kerrang on our new channel plan.

*sigh*

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 02 April 2007 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I didn’t see it. A friend told me, but only after they’d stopped doing it.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 April 2007 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28
Charybdis - 02 April 2007 06:54 PM

World of Warcraft announced a new in-game tinfoil hat that seems right at home on here.

Equip: Allows the wearer to see “the truth.” May lead to an incontrollable urge to share “the truth” with others.

That is so kewl… I want one for my Diablo characters LOL

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 02 April 2007 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

The ones I came across were the Gmail Paper, the TiSP and the WoW tinfoil hat. I didn’t hear of anything of note that happened locally.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 02 April 2007 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-04-02
JoeDaJuggler - 02 April 2007 03:55 PM

Was there any really good April Fool’s pranks yesterday?Anyone catch anything?  Anyone taken in by any of them?

Nadia Coamneci *named* Foreign Ministry

Posted: 03 April 2007 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Web-based pranks

Web pranksters have April 1 field day

April 02, 2007

IF you find it hard to trust anything you see on the web these days, imagine the field day the legions of online pranksters had on April 1.
Taking the limelight this year for its April Fool’s prank was search giant Google, which offered consumers free high-speed wireless internet through their home plumbing systems.

Code-named Dark Porcelain, Google said its Toilet Internet Service Provider worked with Microsoft Corp’s new Windows Vista operating system.

The gag included a step-by-step online installation manual and a selection of frequently asked questions.

On some Google sites, the company’s official logo - a multicoloured Google that changes according to the season and on holidays - substituted a toilet for the second

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 03 April 2007 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

Google Maps had their own April Fools joke, apparently, separate from the TISP and Google paper.

Posted: 03 April 2007 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, I ‘forked’ a friend’s lawn, so that’s my contribution.

Woot.com had their (much sought-after) Bags of Random Crap priced out at $1,000,001.00USD. Granted, there was a coupon code that would give a million-dollar discount, but I think some folks *may* have charged a million bucks to their accounts in the haste to get a RBOC.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 04 April 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

A California Realtor also seems to have pulled a fast one on Sunday.

Scott Heller had been planning this April Fool’s Day joke for three years.

On Friday night, he got to bring the idea to life and tacked up a

1 of 2