1 of 3
Pilot’s Lawsuit Alleges Airliners Rigged With Explosives
Posted: 09 March 2007 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Field McConnell, a pilot for Northwest Airlines, has filed a lawsuit charging that many commercial airliners are rigged with explosives that can be remotely detonated. He refuses to fly until such devices are removed. McConnell’s claim is seemingly given credence by none other than Boeing’s vice-president, who tacitly admitted the fact in a speech last year.

“The lawsuit, filed last week, claims Boeing Co. and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) can’t assure him that B747-400 planes are safe. McConnell, who is the process of seeking an early retirement from Northwest, claims the planes are rigged by Boeing and can be remotely detonated,” reports the West Central Tribune .

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 March 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

The quote has no context.  Even so I don’t see how you get from explosives designed to blow open a door to explosives designed to take down an aircraft in the case of a hijacking.  Not that logic plays into it, of course.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 09 March 2007 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Exactly. This is a classic example of a “quote” not saying what the person quoting it purports. So this is a purposely malicious misquote by attaching a wrong context, or otherwise the person who wrote the story is really mental.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 09 March 2007 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-02-09

Many systems use explosively operated actuators—safety valves, door interlocks, etc, as Charybdis points out. 

This is another instance of a reasonable person, Bain, the Boeing Sr VP, pointing out the lunacy of zero tolerance policies that are implemented without thought.  His statement is then taken out of context and used to support the argument of an idiot. 

This is why some people should not be allowed to vote. rolleyes

Posted: 09 March 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

And that

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 09 March 2007 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

I also doubt the veracity of the quote from Doug Bain’s speech.  The first sentence in his quote (the last paragraph of the quoted story) is a sentence fragment of the sort that no one would actually make in a speech.  It even sounds like something’s missing.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 10 March 2007 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
JoeDaJuggler - 09 March 2007 11:04 PM

I also doubt the veracity of the quote from Doug Bain’s speech.  The first sentence in his quote (the last paragraph of the quoted story) is a sentence fragment of the sort that no one would actually make in a speech.  It even sounds like something’s missing.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too.  So I went to check to see if there was a more complete quoatation anywhere, or if that really was what he said.  It took me a while to find it (the conspiracy forums are having a field day with this whole lawsuit, and filling up the search engines with their musings), but here’s Bain’s complete speech.  And here’s the part in question:

“And one nasty little thing is that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which has an almost explicit prohibition on possessing explosives. For those of you who are at BCA [Boeing Commercial Airplanes], you might remember that every single door on an airplane has actuators that are triggered by explosives.”

So the quotation wasn’t edited.  Of course, it also doesn’t mean what many of the conspiracy theorists are making it sound like.  It’s not a bunch of explosives embedded in the airplane that the government can blow up at will.  It’s a few explosive bolts that the air crew can detonate by pushing a lever or whatever, and that will make the door drop off so that it won’t jam in an emergency.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 10 March 2007 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Granted, making such doors remote-activated *would* be an effective, if last-ditch antiterrorism measure…

“Land or we blow the doors off.”

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 10 March 2007 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I think blowing the wings off would be more effective, though.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 10 March 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  421
Joined  2006-05-29

Well, rapid decompression at high altitude really sucks. And not just in the metaphorical sense.

As a pilot though, it shouldn’t be much of a bother unless you seem to be missing your windshield. raspberry

Signature 

-Paranoid amnesiac: I keep forgetting they’re after me-
Vanquished Illusions and Desire wear Techno-Organic Wings

Posted: 10 March 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27
Accipiter - 10 March 2007 09:37 AM

I think blowing the wings off would be more effective, though.

Blow the whole thing… that will teach them!  3…2…1… ...

FrostBird - 10 March 2007 01:59 PM

Well, rapid decompression at high altitude really sucks. And not just in the metaphorical sense.

As a pilot though, it shouldn’t be much of a bother unless you seem to be missing your windshield. raspberry

Like what happend to Tim Lancaster

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 10 March 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Actually, Donald Trump had this great idea whereby all passenger jets would be refitted and if any trouble begins in the cabin the cockpit door should be airtight and the cockpit crew would release a fast acting sleep gas into the cabin.

I’m not kidding.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

1 of 3