3 of 4
Well, this is interesting…
Posted: 08 March 2007 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2007-01-25

Who’s Danny Elfman? Is he a character in Lord of The Rings?

(Sorry, couldn’t resist such a horrendous pun).

Signature 

Judge Alistair McCallum: “Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 19 August 2007 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Okay, prodded by a request of an Australian friend, I signed up to Facebook last week.

And it is scary. It does indeed ask you for *a lot* of information. Plus, the only viable way I so far discovered to try to find people you know, is by uploading your full e-mail addressbook (or providing them access to your webmail!). In other words, that provides “them” with a full overview of your e-mail contacts too.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 August 2007 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

well, I succumbed to evil a month or so ago too, and I made Neo, Chary and Nettie sign up, so you’d better add me as a friend smile

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 19 August 2007 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

I always follow the same philosophy with any online site. I won’t put anything online that I don’t mind being out in the public eye.

LaMa, You can search for people just by first or last name, or email address manually. Allowing Facebook access to my contact lists in any way, shape or form is not something I was prepared to do. The only place that I enter my email passwords, is when logging into the accounts themselves.

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 20 August 2007 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27
Mortosaurus - 07 March 2007 12:16 PM

Am I the only one who couldn’t actually access the site without having some STUPID US Visa pop-up appear?

If you want to get rid of a lot of advertisements etc, go here. Just copy/paste this in your hosts file (also the lmhosts and the hosts.msn) and suddenly all that shyet goes to nothing…

http://ha.ckers.org/hosts

Works like a dream. And if you come on one that isn

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 20 August 2007 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Transfrmr - 20 August 2007 02:05 AM

I always follow the same philosophy with any online site. I won’t put anything online that I don’t mind being out in the public eye.

Yes, that’s the same sensible strategy I follow.

LaMa, You can search for people just by first or last name, or email address manually. Allowing Facebook access to my contact lists in any way, shape or form is not something I was prepared to do. The only place that I enter my email passwords, is when logging into the accounts themselves.

Yes? How to do that? All I kept getting was that option to submit your full e-mail addressbook. Apparently that is what “they"prefer….  wink

Oh and Carlotta: I’ll search you out as soon as I know how… :p

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 20 August 2007 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07
LaMa - 20 August 2007 12:34 PM
Transfrmr - 20 August 2007 02:05 AM

Yes, that’s the same sensible strategy I follow.

Yes? How to do that? All I kept getting was that option to submit your full e-mail addressbook. Apparently that is what “they"prefer….  wink

Oh and Carlotta: I’ll search you out as soon as I know how… :p

LaMa, its really not obvious. If you go to the Friends page and click the Find Friends button, it will always try to get into your address book. The way to search for one person at a time is to use the search box that is located under the Facebook logo on the upper-left of any page. Just type an email address or first and last name of someone and it will find them. Email is easier since only one person will turn up, for some names (like a friendf of mine names John Smith LOL ) you will have to go through hundreds of entries to find the one you want.

Enter Email, hit search, if they’re on Facebook and using that Email address it’ll find them right away grin

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 20 August 2007 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Got it!

I prefer to search on name. [paranoid] Otherwise they still harvest my contact e-mail addresses… [/paranoid]

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1318
Joined  2007-05-06
LaMa - 19 August 2007 09:56 PM

Okay, prodded by a request of an Australian friend, I signed up to Facebook last week.

And it is scary. It does indeed ask you for *a lot* of information. Plus, the only viable way I so far discovered to try to find people you know, is by uploading your full e-mail addressbook (or providing them access to your webmail!). In other words, that provides “them” with a full overview of your e-mail contacts too.

They ask, but you don’t have to answer. Plus, I never did the email address thing. I just looked people up by name.

Signature 

So I can just type anything and it will show up here?

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Stargazer - 20 August 2007 06:34 PM
LaMa - 19 August 2007 09:56 PM

They ask, but you don’t have to answer.

Nope. That will be the case only once “they” have you safely at Gitmo….or one of those secret prisons in Yemen or Romania
tongue wink

Signature 

———

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Article in the New Zealand Herald about “Facebook - the CIA conspiracy

Signature 

———

3 of 4