Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 02 March 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Hmm well, you should be aware anyway that anything you post on the internet (on whatever what site) can be mined, combined, etc., and basically will enable “them” to construct a picture of many of your characteristics. How many, that depends on how many of those you post.

That’s why I am purporting to be a European male scientist here. In reality, I am an Asian female, cleaning the toilets of the Beijing Party Bureau, and the mistress of the Head of Beijings National Party Darts Club. But shhht, don’t tell anybody! And happy Chinese New Year!

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 March 2007 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

It seems like the person who made this is upset that facebook can give the statistics on individuals to third parties.  Frankly, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but I’ve always been a fan of information.  Because Facebook can be such a great source to learn what type of things young people like, I really don’t see why this information can’t be used.  It’s not like they are selling it with your name and personal identification information attached, although it seems like it could be possible, I don’t think that any government or company cares that my favorite book this year was John Irving’s and my favorite CD was Thom York’s, they only care if a high percentage of 20somethings liked it.  I think facebook is the best of the social networking sites and I’ll continue to use it.  If I didn’t want people to know my information I wouldn’t have put it on the internet in the first place.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 02 March 2007 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else find the page painfully slow-moving?
I understand that they wanted to allow time for everyone to be able to read each page, but I’d so much have preferred a click-through site - the part with the chart showing who owns what led to me going and reading something in another window whilst they s-l-o-w-l-y panned through.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 03 March 2007 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10

Yah, I felt that way too Boo.

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

Posted: 03 March 2007 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

My ones just going through the chart now. I like facebook, though prefer myspace.

Finished it. Well I’m sure many things have privacy policies like that. And I agree with Razela, if I didnt want info online, I wouldnt put it on there.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 03 March 2007 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

Oh, heres a part of their privacy policy, if anyones interested. I’ve emboldened one of the things quoted on the site.

The Information We Collect

When you visit Facebook you provide us with two types of information: personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and Web Site use information collected by us as you interact with our Web Site.

When you register with Facebook, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, your email address, your telephone number, your address, your gender, schools attended and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us.

When you enter Facebook, we collect your browser type and IP address. This information is gathered for all Facebook visitors. In addition, we store certain information from your browser using “cookies.” A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user’s computer tied to information about the user. We use session ID cookies to confirm that users are logged in. These cookies terminate once the user closes the browser. By default, we use a persistent cookie that stores your login ID (but not your password) to make it easier for you to login when you come back to Facebook. You can remove or block this cookie using the settings in your browser if you want to disable this convenience feature.

You post User Content (as defined in the Facebook Terms of Use) on the Site at your own risk. Although we allow you to set privacy options that limit access to your pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the actions of other Users with whom you may choose to share your pages and information. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that User Content you post on the Site will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other Users have copied or stored your User Content.

Any improper collection or misuse of information provided on Facebook is a violation of the Facebook Terms of Service and should be reported to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

If you choose to use our invitation service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend’s email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. Facebook stores this information to send this one-time email, to register a friend connection if your invitation is accepted, and to track the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to request that we remove this information from our database.

Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g., photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalized experience.

By using Facebook, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 03 March 2007 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Can’t see it from teh hotel computer I am currently using.  Shall try again when I get home.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 04 March 2007 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-10
thunder - 03 March 2007 10:59 PM

Facebook may also collect information about you from other sources, such as newspapers, blogs, instant messaging services, and other users of the Facebook service through the operation of the service (e.g., photo tags) in order to provide you with more useful information and a more personalized experience.

I don’t get it.  How would they even get this information and what would be the purpose?  I mean, instand messaging services?  How would they even know what I’m messaging to my friends and why would they care?  Newspapers?  I guess I don’t really understand the point of this paragraph.

Signature 

-Modest Mouse

Posted: 04 March 2007 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

They’re watching you, Razela. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 March 2007 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Watched it.  And I just have to say…meh.

I work under the attitude that if someone really cares that much about me that they want that information they can have it.  Trying to keep it from them is more work than I care to put into it.  And my life is pretty boring.  If they want to peruse that stuff they’re welcome to it.

Oh.  And I don’t have Facebook.  But wouldn’t be the least bit surprised that the same kind of thing happens at MySpace or just about any other large public forum type place like that.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

1 of 4