1 of 2
Bra Check Spurs Nursing Home Worker to Sue
Posted: 29 September 2005 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050928/D8CTD9389.html

ELIZABETH, N.Y. (AP) - A former nursing home worker has filed a $9 million federal lawsuit against an upstate county, claiming she’s suffered mental anguish and needs anti-anxiety medication after being forced to prove she was wearing a bra at work.

Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney’s sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn’t found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

“I feel that the actions of those involved constitute sexual harassment under federal and state law,” Tenney said in court papers. “I have been constructively terminated by the actions of ... my employer and (the) failure to stop this harassment.”

The undergarment check happened in April after nursing home officials received a complaint that Tenney was not wearing a bra as required by county policy.

Besides Essex County, which is in the Adirondacks, Tenney also names in her lawsuit the nursing home, county Attorney Richard Meyer and the state Civil Service Employees Union.

“We contend the suit is without merit,” Meyer said.

So, let me get this straight. The rules say she has to wear a bra. There were complaints she wasn’t. The supervisor put a hand on her back, outside her clothes, to check for a clasp. When she couldn’t find one, the worker VOLUNTARILY pulled up her own sweater in a public place and showed her bra. And now she wants $9 million?
Please…

rolleyes

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 29 September 2005 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Bizarre! Also bizarre is the rule that they HAVE to wear them!

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

Posted: 29 September 2005 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Health & Safety, on a cold day she could have someone’s eye out! Even if it had been harrassment $9 million would be a rather large sum of compensation, don’t you think? Bloody Law-suit happy society, tsk tsk.

*Looks for lawyer in case anyone tries to sue over my comments*

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 29 September 2005 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

If I had to “prove” I was wearing a bra, I would just show the strap…I wouldn’t lift my sweater.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 September 2005 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Ridiculous to sue (but: see below), but also ridiculous to have a mandatory bra rule.

And who the hell would make a complaint that someone is not wearing a bra? Why would you do that?

It is possible that the woman’s reaction is a reaction against the fact that as an employer you have to prove you wear a bra. A statement, hence. In that case, I could sympathize with her.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 29 September 2005 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

Many businesses have a dress code.  Proper undergarments are a part of that dress code.  There’s nothing unusual about requiring a female employee to wear a bra.  The employees represent the company and they have an image to uphold.  While some women may not need a bra, other certainly do, and the rules have to be applied equally to all.  There’s no difference between requiring a bra and requiring long pants and dress shirts.  They both help ensure a more professional image.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 29 September 2005 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

She might also have nasty boob-shapes.  They might be saggy.  Who the hell wants to see that changing your bed pan?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 29 September 2005 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Charybdis - 29 September 2005 03:19 PM

Many businesses have a dress code.  Proper undergarments are a part of that dress code.  There’s nothing unusual about requiring a female employee to wear a bra.  The employees represent the company and they have an image to uphold.  While some women may not need a bra, other certainly do, and the rules have to be applied equally to all.  There’s no difference between requiring a bra and requiring long pants and dress shirts.  They both help ensure a more professional image.

I think the only company here in Holland with a dress code is the McDonalds, plus those professions where you have to wear a uniform, or clothing is prescribed because of hygiene. I don’t think there is any Dutch company that has a mandatory bra rule. They would be ridiculed in every satiric TV program and by every columnist and stand-up comedian in the country here if they would do.

By the way, to avoid arguments by misunderstanding: I agree there are functions where people should dress proper. Yet here in Holland, we tend to be rather tolerant about these things. We leave it to the people themselves.

Saggy breasts…..well, I hate chagrin faces, warts and silicone boobs.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 29 September 2005 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
LaMa - 29 September 2005 04:08 PM

Yet here in Holland, we tend to be rather tolerant about these things. We leave it to the people themselves.

I think Holland is the true land of Freedom and free choice.

Signature 

———

Posted: 29 September 2005 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

In my home, the rule is No bras are to be worn…..either by G/F or any other woman.. (Mom doesn’t count….)

Posted: 29 September 2005 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2004-11-08

Why doesn’t that surprise me, Stephen?

Posted: 29 September 2005 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  442
Joined  2005-04-05

Should underwear really be included in a dress code, it is a VERY personal thing. Would the danger for the courts in this case not be that if they ruled in favour of the company and the dress code they might be creating a precedent. A PR company, for example, might decide that a no bra policy might better represent them to customers who favour the sight of perky unsupported breasts - just a thought!

Signature 

“Do you realise the sun doesnt go down, its just an illusion caused by the world spinning round”

1 of 2