1 of 1
Freedom Toaster
Posted: 19 February 2007 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-19

Hey there!

I need you help pls!
Is the freedom toaster http://www.freedomtoaster.org a hoax or is it real? I can not make up my mind on it!
Looking foreard to hearing from you soon!

Thx!!!

P.S. “Freedom Toasters are conveniently located, self-contained, computer-based, ‘Bring ‘n Burn’ facilities. Like vending machines, preloaded to dispense confectionery, Freedom Toasters are preloaded to dispense free digital products, including software, photography, music and literature....”

Posted: 19 February 2007 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I believe it is real enough, but you may have trouble finding one unless you live in South Africa.

A quick google search confirms this, apparently Sun donated some hardware and there is a press release on their website about it, so unless they are in on the joke, I doubt it’s a hoax

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 19 February 2007 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-02-19

well, the whole think looks very real, but when you check their forum, only wired messages are displayed….
This was confusing me.

Posted: 19 February 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

If you go further back in their forums, there are real posts - it seems to be only recently that they’ve been spammed.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 19 February 2007 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-02-19

I know, I have seen that. Spamming started around Dezember 2006. But I was still wondering why the ppl from the freedom toaster didn’t remove those post in the meanwhile. And I haven’t seen any “real” postings recently.
But anyway, thanks for your answers.

Posted: 19 February 2007 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Heh, yeah, they’ve been spammed good. It seems that the forums are kind of ghost towns. I have a feeling that the concept didn’t take off as well as they thought it would, and the machines seem to have some troubles. It’s a neat idea, but it’s just as easy (if not easier) to download and burn opensource apps on your own computer. Wireless makes it that much more so. Now if they were giving away pirated copies of photoshop or something for free, I’m sure they’d get much more business wink 

Of course, I would never accept a copy of photoshop obtained in such a mannter, that would be illegal.... *cough*

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

1 of 1