1 of 2
Profiles of Cleopatra and her lover on a silver denari belie fabled beauty
Posted: 15 February 2007 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

Two of history’s most famous Valentines are gently debunked today by analysis of an exceptionally well-preserved Roman coin, which gives the lie to the fabled beauty of Cleopatra and the manly features of her lover Mark Antony.
Far from possessing the classical looks of Elizabeth Taylor, or the many other goddesses who have played her on stage and screen, the Egyptian queen is shown with a shrewish profile while Antony suffers from bulging eyes, a crooked nose and a bull neck.

Debated for centuries, but with little effect against a tide of romance backed by Shakespeare, Delacroix and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, the faces of the couple have the stamp of authenticity on the silver denarius found in Newcastle upon Tyne. It was coined in Antony’s own mint to mark his victories in Armenia in 32BC, achieved with the help of Cleopatra’s one undoubted attraction, her money.

Full story

Image Attachments
romancoin192[1].jpg
 Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 February 2007 03:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’d always understood from reading the contemporary Roman correspondences of people like Cicero and Gnaeus Pompeius that she was fairly short and scrawny with a big nose, and that it was her personality that really attracted men to her (hear that, girls?  Looks aren’t everything—not that I object to good looks, mind you).  So whenever I saw these modern images of her, I often found them funny.  It’s sort of like having Shaquille O’Neil portray Napoleon.

Given that we already had all the first-hand accounts that she was no beauty before we ever found this coin, I doubt that this is going to do much to change the current public image of her.  It’s too deeply rooted in the public’s mind now.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 February 2007 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Of course, turning up in a man’s bedroom wearing nothing but a rug always helps in the popularity stakes.

Posted: 15 February 2007 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

That depends on how well the rug matches the rest of the upholstry. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 February 2007 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8452
Joined  2006-02-28

*turns out the lights on David & Acci*

Choose well… ...

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I prefer to think that everyone in ancient rome was beautiful as per the HBO show.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I thought the coin shown was depicting Marc Anthony until I read the article big surprise

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02
Accipiter - 15 February 2007 08:24 AM

I’d always understood from reading the contemporary Roman correspondences of people like Cicero and Gnaeus Pompeius that she was fairly short and scrawny with a big nose, and that it was her personality that really attracted men to her (hear that, girls?  Looks aren’t everything—not that I object to good looks, mind you).

I’m sure the fact that she was “ruler” over an enviable empire had something to do with the attraction as well wink

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

There were two coins on BBC, one showing Cleo and the other Marc.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5149
Joined  2005-01-27

My coin is bigger

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Which is which?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 15 February 2007 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

The one on the right says “Cleopatra” on it, so I’m assuming that it’s showing her.

Signature 

1 of 2