1 of 1
Why women fall for ‘Mr Average’
Posted: 13 February 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2007-01-12

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6345623.stm

You overachieving single men out there… time for a personal downgrade!

Signature 

Law of Cat Composition: A cat is composed of Matter + Anti-Matter + It Doesn’t Matter

Posted: 13 February 2007 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I disagree with the explanation. I think its just a matter of the bell-curve. Many mediocre people, and relatively little high ranking, among both females and males. And the mediocre majority of females will tend to go for equal partners, hence mediocre men.

Mr Average hence is so popular because most women are Mrs Average and look for an equal partner.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 13 February 2007 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2007-01-12
LaMa - 13 February 2007 09:47 PM

I disagree with the explanation. I think its just a matter of the bell-curve. Many mediocre people, and relatively little high ranking, among both females and males. And the mediocre majority of females will tend to go for equal partners, hence mediocre men.

Mr Average hence is so popular because most women are Mrs Average and look for an equal partner.

That’s sort of close to what I thought, which was that women chose men who didn’t have the top jobs because those who did might be intimidating or they (the women) would constantly feel inferior to them… not so much a case of such men being “too good to be true”.

Signature 

Law of Cat Composition: A cat is composed of Matter + Anti-Matter + It Doesn’t Matter

Posted: 13 February 2007 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2005-06-15

Then there are those women like me who are the dominat ones in the relationship.  I have the degree and I earn the most money. I take the more “male” role while my long suffering hubby takes the more “female” role in the relationship.  There are several different things factors in who you chose

Signature 

Beerrun all we need is a 10 and a fiver a car, keys, and a sober driver

Posted: 13 February 2007 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

I agree with you guys.  I think it is more of an intimidation thing.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

1 of 1