1 of 2
missing link was stoned monkey
Posted: 26 September 2005 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/missing_link.shtml

New research into prehistoric dietary habits suggests that the humans who split from their chimp cousins seven million years ago may have subsisted on roots and tubers that they foraged from under the savannah. Interestingly, one particular root contains psychoactive compounds that can cause effects similar to those created by psychedelic drugs. Could it be that human intelligence was jump-started in chimps thanks to a mind-expanding trip?

Posted: 26 September 2005 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2004-11-08

That’s why drugs should be legal!

Posted: 26 September 2005 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
buba - 26 September 2005 03:50 PM

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/missing_link.shtml

New research into prehistoric dietary habits suggests that the humans who split from their chimp cousins seven million years ago may have subsisted on roots and tubers that they foraged from under the savannah. Interestingly, one particular root contains psychoactive compounds that can cause effects similar to those created by psychedelic drugs. Could it be that human intelligence was jump-started in chimps thanks to a mind-expanding trip?

On the Pliocene savannah, with critters such as sabre-tooth lions walking around, you wouldn’t last long if you were stoned.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 26 September 2005 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Hmmm: so in fact I should be a Stoned Age archaeologist instead of a Stone Age archaeologist?!  smirk

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 27 September 2005 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-22

Sabre-tooths roamed through much of North America except for the far north and through South America, along the Pacific coast.
so those stoners in africa were not paranoid about them.

Posted: 27 September 2005 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

I think the key phrase about sabre-tooths was ‘such as’ indicating that there were other animals that posed a danger to early primates, including smilodons.  I’m faily certain that Pliocene Africa was not devoid of large, primate eating predators.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

In the Americas you would have had the Thylacasmilidae (I probably spelled that atrociously), which were sabre-toothlike marsupials, and later on members of the family Felidae such as Eusmilus and the more famous Smilodon.  In Africa you would have had Megatereon (an early sabre-tooth, sometimes called a dirk-tooth) and Homotherium (which was also called a scimitar-toothed cat, having more curved teeth than more traditional sabre-toothed cats did).  So loosely speaking, you would have had “sabre-toothed” cats in Africa.

Not all of these would have been around 5 to 7 million years ago, though, the time that the article is focusing on.  The Thylacosmilidae would have been around in South America, as would Megantareon in Africa.  Eusmilus would have been long gone (they were from the Oligocene epoch), and Homotherium probably not around yet (they appeared in the early Pliocene).  Smilodon was still a long way in the future (late Pliocene).

And reading back over my post, I see that my spelling is rather erratic, but I don’t feel like spending a lot of time searching around online trying to figure out the proper spelling of each of those names.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 September 2005 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Ha…..stoned monkeys ROCK!!!!!

Posted: 27 September 2005 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-22

maybe the reason they persevered against predators “such as”.. is because they were all hopped up… and ‘down to kill’ large animals.

Posted: 27 September 2005 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Huh?  You’re not trying out this theory right now, are you?

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 27 September 2005 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-22

yes i am, my monkey is loaded with goofballs and i am closely observing her behavior. she seems to show some signs of wild mood swings and some aggression.

Posted: 27 September 2005 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
buba - 27 September 2005 12:50 PM

Sabre-tooths roamed through much of North America except for the far north and through South America, along the Pacific coast.
so those stoners in africa were not paranoid about them.

Sabretooths were present in Africa as well: two species in fact. They died out there about 1.5 million years ago.

Signature 

———

1 of 2