1 of 1
Aussies beware!
Posted: 01 February 2007 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Bizarre behaviour linked to sleeping pill

A suspect sleeping pill is causing Australians to paint the front door, binge-eat, and drive while still asleep, a new study reveals.

The Federal Health Department has received 16 separate reports of odd “sleepwalking” behaviour caused by the drug Stilnox, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

A woman taking the drug “woke with a paintbrush in her hand after painting the front door while asleep,” the Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee said in a bulletin published yesterday.

Another patient reportedly gained 23 kilograms over seven months while taking Stilnox. “It was only when she was discovered eating in front of an open refrigerator while asleep that the problem was resolved,” the bulletin said.

The committee also received two alarming reports “which suggest the possibility of driving while asleep.”

The new study marks the first time “inappropriate or strange automatic behaviour” related to Stilnox has been noted in Australia since the drug was introduced here in 2000, although cases have been reported overseas.

The health department also received 104 reports of hallucinations and 62 of amnesia relating to the drug.

Alan Brindell, a spokesman for the manufacturer of Stilnox, Sanofi-Aventis, told the Herald it had not been proven that the drug was causing the disturbed sleep behaviour.

Brindell could not provide an estimate for the number of people in Australia using Stilnox, which is only available on prescription and attracts no subsidy.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 February 2007 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15033
Joined  2006-08-16

Sounds like a good concept for a reality show.  Get a bunch of people in a house and any time someone wants to sleep they have to take one of those pills.  Interesting hilarity ensues!

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 01 February 2007 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

I was just reading that these pills are what is known as Ambien in N. America.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 01 February 2007 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

I’m *certain* I’ve submitted posts to this forum while I was asleep.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 02 February 2007 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Sounds like a bit exaggerated report on side-effects known with most sleeping pill varieties.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 February 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I wonder if they’ll be reporting any cases of sexsomnia with this.

*wonders if Smerk takes sleeping pills*  shock

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 1

‹‹ Ancient Buildings      TV Stunt Bomb Scare ››