Battle of the Books, Dutch style
Posted: 01 January 2007 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6221667.stm

Double Dutch in language twister

An ongoing battle over language in The Netherlands is being fuelled by the country’s New Year’s word lists.

The Little Green Book, or Het Groene Boekje, the official Dutch spelling guide, was published this year.

But it is being boycotted by public broadcasters, who say it is too silly for words.

Instead, the Dutch media has published its own Little White Book with a list of new words that they want to add to the Dutch language, unofficially.

The Het Witte Boekje will soon embrace the new words of 2007.

It is mostly the big newspapers who come up with new words, like - “blowverbodbord” - a notice stating that it is illegal to consume soft drugs in the immediate area.

The street sign shows a large lit joint in a red warning circle.

It is put up by Amsterdam city council in places where it is officially forbidden to smoke cannabis in public.

Collectors around the world buy “blowverbodborden” for $100 (

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 January 2007 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I must admit that the new official spelling rules in the “groene boekje” are a bit absurd.

Language evolves, is dynamic, but the new spelling has nothing to do with the real dynamic evolution of the Dutch language. It is an absurd construct that has not a single foot in the reality of everyday language use.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 01 January 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2005-06-25

Isn’t dutch like german?

Signature 

This is my signiture

Posted: 02 January 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
FireFly - 02 January 2007 01:35 AM

Isn’t dutch like german?

In the Netherlands, asking this question would be followed by a mob stoning in the streets…. cool hmm

But to answer it: they are in the same language family, but different. Dutch has sounds German doesn’t have, words differ (although some are mutually recognizable), and German grammar rules are quite different from Dutch.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 02 January 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

So what is the official spelling of “klootsak”?
question

Posted: 02 January 2007 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
David B. - 02 January 2007 02:51 PM

question

Klootzak

And its a very, very bad word….equivalent of the Anglo-saxon “a**hole”. It refers to, uh, something that dangles between a male’s legs and contains two nuts…

Signature 

———

Posted: 02 January 2007 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

Isn’t dutch like german?

I tried to learn Dutch some years ago, and I wouldn’t say that it’s anything like German.

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 02 January 2007 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05
LaMa - 02 January 2007 03:09 PM
David B. - 02 January 2007 02:51 PM

question

Klootzak

And its a very, very bad word….equivalent of the Anglo-saxon “a**hole”. It refers to, uh, something that dangles between a male’s legs and contains two nuts…

Oh I know what it means! I just couldn’t remember how to spell it. It’s my third most common ejaculation when a piece of technology won’t behave itself (and is usually followed by a swift kick)!

Posted: 02 January 2007 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m rather surprised you would equate a penis to a rectum.  Is there something about you we didn’t know, LaMa?  wink

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 02 January 2007 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

If you have nuts in your penis I’d see a doctor pronto (or at least stop doing that thing with the squirrels)!

Posted: 02 January 2007 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17
David B. - 02 January 2007 05:15 PM

If you have nuts in your penis I’d see a doctor pronto (or at least stop doing that thing with the squirrels)!

LOL

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 January 2007 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16

Isn’t dutch like german?

The first thing to come to mind when reading this yesterday was, “yes, they’re similar. But Dutch is a little more wooden.”

But I figured the joke would be maybe a little obscure and streeeeetching it quite a bit. (Wooden shoes. Get it?)

So I’m posting it a day later when it’s not as relevant and I can give a little more explanation.  (Not that it makes the joke any worse (or better) now.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

1 of 2