2 of 2
OK you scientific types, answer me this one.
Posted: 31 December 2006 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Accipiter - 31 December 2006 12:18 AM

Some things might change in other ways as well.  The weight of all that ice has pushed down places like Antarctica and Greenland.  Maybe with all that extra weight gone, they will rise back up again?

Yes, and other area’s will sink as a result of that (think of it as a half-inflated footbal: when you push down a part, another part rises and vv.).

Scandinavia is currently still rising as a result of the disappearance of its icecaps at the end of the last glacial. In response to that, the eastern North Sea Basin including the Low Countries, is still sinking.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 31 December 2006 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Bebelicious - 30 December 2006 11:51 PM

I’d always been taught the ice caps were over a land mass, but that didn’t seem to be the theory I watched today. 

Well—polar ice caps are, by definition, at the poles.  The continents move around (plate tectonics).  If there’s a continent there, then the ice cap IS over a land mass.  If not, not. 

Right now, the south polar ice IS on top of a continent (Antarctica).  The north polar ice cap is just on the ocean.  I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s possible to navigate a submarine underneath all or at least most of the north polar ice.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 31 December 2006 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Another way cool tangent:  4 km beneath the ice on Antarctica lies a huge freshwater lake, Lake Vostok.

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 31 December 2006 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
JoeDaJuggler - 31 December 2006 05:28 PM
Bebelicious - 30 December 2006 11:51 PM

I’d always been taught the ice caps were over a land mass, but that didn’t seem to be the theory I watched today. 

Well—polar ice caps are, by definition, at the poles.  The continents move around (plate tectonics).  If there’s a continent there, then the ice cap IS over a land mass.  If not, not. 

Right now, the south polar ice IS on top of a continent (Antarctica).  The north polar ice cap is just on the ocean.  I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s possible to navigate a submarine underneath all or at least most of the north polar ice.

Depends on what you call the North Pole Ice Cap. I would say part of it (the Greenland Ice Cap) is on land, part of it on water.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

2 of 2