Someone needs Dr. Phil
Posted: 07 December 2006 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11903
Joined  2006-12-02

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/16171832.htm

Signature 

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Posted: 07 December 2006 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

Boy who opened present arrested

Mother calls Rock Hill police after 12-year-old unwraps Christmas gift
By MONICA CHEN
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

ROCK HILL

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 07 December 2006 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

Sounds just like my son, who is only five currently but I can see the road ahead and feel like I can do nothing about it.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

Posted: 07 December 2006 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I feel uncomfortable saying this, but I think the mother and grandmother made a good move in the right direction. I also respect the public admission of the problem as well.

There are MANY parents who are living the same problem with little deviation. A good number of them try to keep this behavior/disorder quiet, much in the way folks were sent to institutions many years ago when they behaved in odd ways or deemed medically crazy. Other parents go the medication route and some mix that with therapy.

Some parents simply believe they have failed as parents.

I doubt any of this is even new. It’s probably always been occurring but wasn’t as widely visible.

Parenting though has modified itself in the past couple decades from physical discipline approaches to time-outs. There is grave threat that a parent in public with their child is always being watched and judged by methods of discipline used. The ramifications of incensing strangers by employed discipline methods can be horrendous to the parent(s).

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 December 2006 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Umm…First…I’m thinking…a kid this bad??  How does he get a game boy for Christmas?

Second…it’s obvious there are already problems, and from what I have heard at other news outlets, the actual arrest was b/c a cop got punched earlier & when they showed up at the house, they realized it was this kid, b/c the mom was telling the cop how bad the kid was…and they went ahead & arrested him.

Third…if it’s just Mom & great-grandma, this kid needs some sort of male role model.  No news on where dad is…but he’s not mentioned at all in the article & with a 15 year old mommy…odds are dad is no longer around.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 December 2006 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2005-11-27

I heard that at first they thought someone had stole the game, and that is why they called the police to begin with.

Signature 

Always remember, “Boss is just double SOB backwards”.

Posted: 07 December 2006 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15029
Joined  2006-08-16
Maegan - 07 December 2006 06:07 PM

Umm…First…I’m thinking…a kid this bad??  How does he get a game boy for Christmas?

Exactly, thank you.  And, from the wording of the article, it seems like he already knew he was getting it.  How does that work?  And why is it wrapped and under the tree already?

If you have to tell him not to unwrap a present then it probably doesn’t belong under the tree.  Wait until Christmas Eve, or maybe better, bring it out Christmas morning.  (Not that it will help if he knows where it’s being hidden.  Or if he has enough time alone at home regularly to look for it.  But still, if he doesn’t know he’s getting it he won’t know to look for it.)

Second…it’s obvious there are already problems, and from what I have heard at other news outlets, the actual arrest was b/c a cop got punched earlier & when they showed up at the house, they realized it was this kid, b/c the mom was telling the cop how bad the kid was…and they went ahead & arrested him.

According to this article quoted above

His mother said neither arrest seemed to scare him as she had hoped.

So there were apparently two arrests for each incident, not just one.  I’m not sure if you were saying there was only one arrest, but that’s the way I read it.

And I agree with Huli, too.  Mom and Great-grandma made the right move here.  Even if it didn’t seem to affect the boy.

Now the GBA needs to go back to the store.  Or, if it can’t be returned becaue it’s been opened, it needs to be donated to someplace that can use it this holiday season.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 07 December 2006 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-12-05

Im Somewhat like this (Having ADHD) But Ive Never gone that Far. I would never dream about opening a christmas present early. It Takes away from the magic. I think he should go to counseling or maybe even Military School.

Signature 

I Used To Think I Was Crazy, But The Voices In My Head Convinced Me Otherwise.         

big surprise

1 of 1