Total Posts:  22
Joined  2005-08-20

I don

Posted: 23 November 2006 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16

For anyone interested further, here’s the book on Amazon.

For Larry, I have to say your post made me a little sad. Not because of the content or the message being conveyed, but because you hesitated to even post this because you felt you might get “flamed.”

I’m relatively new here, but I think I can honestly say that I have never seen one of the regular members “flame” anyone else on this board. Ask very pointed questions, poke and prod to get information, debate differing opinions, yes.  But do anything that was meant as a personal attack?  No.  But maybe we have different opinions of what a “flame attack” is. (That doesn’t mean I haven’t seen flaming on this board. I have seen several flame attacks against the regular members because the person doesn’t find an easily fooled audience for whatever he is spouting and finds it difficult, apparently, to answer the questions and counter the opinions posed against him.)

You are going to find sceptics to this story, definitely. But I am positive you won’t find any flame attacks aimed at you. At least not from the regulars on this board.

Personally, I find the concept of this book interesting. It sounds like a book I would read at some point if for nothing more than curiosity, but it is not going to go to the top of my reading list. My initial reaction is to file it away under religious speculation and not bother with it. But who knows, maybe I will read it someday.

Regardless, it does sound interesting (regardless of whether I read it or not) and I appreciate you posting about it.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 24 November 2006 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20
Larry - 23 November 2006 11:07 PM

I

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 24 November 2006 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

From the Amazon blurb…

Wiese’s visit to the devil’s lair lasted just twenty-three minutes, but he returned from this with vivid details etched in his memory. He records an accurate account of his experience in this book, presenting more than three hundred scriptures that verify the horrors he endured and observed.

But of course, the scripture references were available before his alledged visit. It’s a bit like claiming to have visited the real Hogwarts, and ‘proving’ it by showing how close your memories of it match the Harry Potter books.

Larry - 23 November 2006 11:07 PM

Now, again, I

Posted: 24 November 2006 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

I too go into deep psychosis sometimes, just like this guy. But unlike him, when I’m out of it I know it’s a psychiatric condition, and not the real thing.

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 24 November 2006 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-24

Well

Posted: 24 November 2006 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26043
Joined  2004-11-08

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 November 2006 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
LarryTake2 - 24 November 2006 03:05 PM

David,

Posted: 24 November 2006 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

Hmm, I think this book sounds quite interesting.  Not because I believe there’s another apocalypse coming or anything, but it could be an interesting read.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 24 November 2006 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

He should have named it The Sinner : or Hell and Back Again and cashed in on the current Tolkien revival interest.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 November 2006 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Larry, you have to ask yourself this question :

If this is a true account of an actual experience, and the author is honestly trying to save souls, why is the author going the commercial book publishing route to do it?  Why is the author charging people and earning royalties from book sales to get his message across?

It would seem that making money is the author’s primary goal here, otherwise he would have made the information available for free on the internet.  If someone tells you “I’ve got the secret to saving your soul right here, and all for only $12.99” he’s lying to you.

Signature 

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 November 2006 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2004-11-08

Thank you, Larry - I consider your posting a breath of fresh air in the forum.  It gives food for thought and banter, and well, it’s been a little dead around here for a few days.  I sincerely hope that my screen name, or at least my avatar made your list of those ‘who are supposed to hear this’.  As a hardcore non-believer, which is obvious in many of my posts, I deserve, nay, beg for inclusion there.  If anyone doubts my sincerity, let me say this.  1) Fact - I have lost a child.  2) Opinion - It is impossible for anyone to imagine the pain and grief of losing a child, until you have lost your own.  3) Belief - My child was alive, now she is dead.  End, finis, non-existant.  As I shall be, you all will be, and everyone who came before and shall come after us is or will be.

Guess what?  I have no wish to convert you to my belief.  Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s ass what you believe.  And if you or this book’s author want to sway me to his belief?  Okay, I heard you.  Good-bye, and have a nice day.  But I am not offended by you stating your belief, that’s your right.  Just don’t bother me at my front door at 9am.  You might get a different opinion, then, with buckshot.

Signature 

Squirrels stole my garden gnome.  Then they ate his nuts!

1 of 6

‹‹ Torchwood      Happy Feet ››