1 of 3
How very sad…
Posted: 13 November 2006 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Well, it’s the demise of the written English language as we know it.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061111/D8LAR4380.html

N.Z. Students Can Use Txt Speak on Tests

Nov 11, 6:20 AM (ET)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - New Zealand’s high school students will be able to use “text-speak” - the mobile phone text message language beloved of teenagers - in national exams this year, officials said.

Text-speak, a second language for thousands of teens, uses abbreviated words and phrases such as “txt” for “text”, “lol” for “laughing out loud” or “lots of love,” and “CU” for “see you.”

The move has already divided students and educators who fear it could damage the English language.

New Zealand’s Qualifications Authority said Friday that it still strongly discourages students from using anything other than full English, but that credit will be given if the answer “clearly shows the required understanding,” even if it contains text-speak.

The authority’s deputy chief executive for qualifications, Bali Haque, said students should aim to make their answers as clear as possible.

Confident that those grading papers would understand answers written in text-speak, Haque stressed that in some exams, including English, text abbreviations would be penalized.

Post Primary Teachers’ Association President Debbie Te Whaiti said the authority’s move reflects the classroom situation.

Teachers would have concerns if text slang became acceptable in everyday written language in classrooms, she said.

Critics said the National Certificate of Educational Achievement or NCEA, the main qualification for high school students, would be degraded by the authority allowing text speak use in exams.

Internet blogger Phil Stevens was not amused by the announcement. “nzqa(New Zealand Qualifications Authority): u mst b joking,” Stevens wrote. “or r u smoking sumthg?”

And it’s not just NZ, either.  I heard on the news last week that they’re allowing Western Australian students to do the same thing.

I suppose it could be worse, though…

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 13 November 2006 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Next will probably be that they are allowed to answer any exam question by just giving the URL to a Googled-up answer.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 13 November 2006 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15028
Joined  2006-08-16

Crap.

Now here’s definitive proof that September122006 is probably right.  The apocalypse is upon us. downer

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 November 2006 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

Hmm, well I’d say it could be acceptable in some… I mean, in certain subjects, for instance science, there were already allowable abbreviations you could make anyway. Obviously it must still be easily readable and unallowable in certain subjects, for instance languages, but other than that I think on the whole its not as bad as people think. Language is always evolving.

& ne1 hu dnt agre wiv me cn ignore dis post innit?

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 14 November 2006 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Perhaps it’s a timed test.  In the data entry world saving keystrokes can mean getting a lot more done in the course of an hour.

Maybe they are just allowing a form of shorthand that will give students an advantage in the time given.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 14 November 2006 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Remembering my days doing the Tertiary Enterance Exams, I don’t think it’s time restraints.  We had three hours for each exam.  I don’t think things have changed that much.  Besides, that was one of the things - you had to manage your time efficiently to be able to answer all the questions.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 14 November 2006 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonics - Phonics refers to a instructional design for teaching children to read. Phonics involves teaching children to connect sounds with letters or groups of letters (e.g., that the sound /k/ can be represented by c, k, or ck spellings).

Phonics taken a bit further.  I’m not sure if it’s language evolution or de-evolution.  Certainly it’s simplier than gregg shorthand where fast lines and dashes were used to represent single or groups of sounds since the symbols and groupings themselves had to be memorized. 

I would think there may be a great advantage to reading all languages if the symbols or letter sounds were all the same, even if the language being represented is not understood.  My personal opposition would be that text messaging is a bit foreign or initially confusing to me only because I don’t use it, yet I find the game of it amusing.  Some abbreviations used are also not clearly interpreted by all, for example LOL years ago equated to Lots of Laughs and Lots of Luck….  the differences between these two interpretations is varied enough that miscommunication can easily occur.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 14 November 2006 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Verily, if such word-smithery were to become common, I would take with the illiack passion at such a chalming of my mother-tongue. Prithee explain to me how anyone can inwit read such cowhanded terms at more than a egg-wife’s trot in the first place? And how does one say them without feeling one has received a wisternefet to the weasand?!

Methinks the youth are overcome with abderian mirth at their elder’s struggles with such badinage, much in the manner that we whale on the badauds that frequent this site.

Nay, I say, this macaronic macrology is to be resisted with the vigour of a rabiate ramoneur!

[And no, I did not make any of these words up!]

Posted: 14 November 2006 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

LOL
What David said.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 14 November 2006 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Boo - 14 November 2006 02:14 PM

LOL
What David said.

What did David say?

raspberry

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 14 November 2006 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, guessing at the words that aren’t familiar to me…

David B. - 14 November 2006 12:21 PM

Verily, if such word-smithery were to become common, I would take with the illiack passion at such a chalming of my mother-tongue. Prithee explain to me how anyone can inwit read such cowhanded terms at more than a egg-wife’s trot in the first place? And how does one say them without feeling one has received a wisternefet to the weasand?!

Methinks the youth are overcome with abderian mirth at their elder’s struggles with such badinage, much in the manner that we whale on the badauds that frequent this site.

Nay, I say, this macaronic macrology is to be resisted with the vigour of a rabiate ramoneur!

[And no, I did not make any of these words up!]

Really, if this method of writing were to become more common, I would take ill (with an obstruction of the intestine?) at such a (desecration?) of my language. Please explain to me how anyone can, in conscience, read such clumsy terms at any speed in the first place? And how does one say them without feeling one has received a (blow?) to the throat?

I think the young people are overcome with (philosophical?) mirth at the older generation’s difficulties with such use of language, much in the manner that we laugh at the (idiots?) that frequent this site.

No, I say, this redundant (adulteration?) is to be resisted with the vigour of a (something something).

How’d I do, David?
wink

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 14 November 2006 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
thunder - 13 November 2006 11:46 PM

Hmm, well I’d say it could be acceptable in some… I mean, in certain subjects, for instance science, there were already allowable abbreviations you could make anyway. Obviously it must still be easily readable and unallowable in certain subjects, for instance languages, but other than that I think on the whole its not as bad as people think. Language is always evolving.

& ne1 hu dnt agre wiv me cn ignore dis post innit?

*flings all twenty volumes of the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. at Thunder*
Well, now that that’s taken care of. . .

I suppose that the English language could use a bit of tidying up.  However, I think that using these sorts of shortcuts will go out of style just like most other such styles have done, although perhaps leaving a few new semi-permanent additions to the language.  Eventually these kids will be having teenagers of their own, and those kids will probably look back in scorn and embarrassment at their parents’ text-speak (“‘LOL’???  That’s soooo twentieth century, Mom!  I’m going to stand way over here and pretend that I don’t know you now.”).  And the kids of today will lament their progeny’s writing skills.  So it goes.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 3