1 of 2
Back in time lapse fotography (link updated)
Posted: 12 November 2006 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27

The idea was to revisit historic photograph locations and take identical photographs, as if the camera never moved and the world changed around it. It’s a little more difficult than I expected due to variations in lenses, inaccessibility of locations and a lack of constant markers. Still all of these are close to correct(some are better than others).

(updated) Link:
http://www.ghostphotos.dreamhosters.com/

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16

Very neat idea.  Cool.  Thanks for sharing. smile

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29

Fascinating.  I admire the patience it must’ve taken to set the shots up and then line them up with the older pics.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 12 November 2006 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I ought to try something like that around here some time.  There are lots of pictures taken from 150 years or so ago always being displayed in the antique stores and restaurants.  And many of the things that are in those pictures really haven’t changed much.  I swear, I think that it’s still some of the same local people wandering around. . .

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 November 2006 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5150
Joined  2005-01-27
Tah - 12 November 2006 08:40 AM

Very neat idea.  Cool.  Thanks for sharing. smile

Only sharing was my idea. I have no idea who the photographer is.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 12 November 2006 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, I recognise the (modern) pictures as being of North Carolina State University at Raleigh.  So perhaps the photographer is a student or faculty member there.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 November 2006 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I especially like number 14! Its clever how its matched so precisely. Although I’m terrible with a camera so am jealous with anyone who can use one…

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 12 November 2006 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

Wow!  Those are really neat!  When I was in Charleston I would try to find the exact view from old civil war photographs.  I didn’t think of matching them up like that though.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

That’s very cool…and seems like a very neat thing to do while on vacation.  You could probably find old postcards or history books with “original” old towne looks…when you take your own pictures…you could re-capture those other moments in time.

Very neat idea!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 12 November 2006 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Okay, here’s my first attempt at doing something like that.  I don’t have the computer programs to make it look all fancy, but you can still see how strangely similar the two views are in spite of nearly a century passing in the interval.

Signature 

Posted: 12 November 2006 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15031
Joined  2006-08-16
Accipiter - 13 November 2006 12:58 AM

Okay, here’s my first attempt at doing something like that.  I don’t have the computer programs to make it look all fancy, but you can still see how strangely similar the two views are in spite of nearly a century passing in the interval.

Very interesting! tongue wink

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 November 2006 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26370
Joined  2004-11-29
Accipiter - 13 November 2006 12:58 AM

Uncanny!

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

1 of 2