1 of 1
‘Upsidedown Jenny’ stamp mailed..
Posted: 11 November 2006 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061110/us_nm/life_stamp_dc

Short Version: One of the ultra-rare misprinted stamps with the biplane flying upside down was used to mail an absentee ballot.

Can we get a confirm on this? I think I smell UL, but that may be something on my shoes..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 November 2006 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15032
Joined  2006-08-16

Sure we can get a confirm on this story.  In 22 months when they can open the box again. wink

Just got done reading this story linked on MSN.com.  Said pretty much the same thing your link did.  (Surprise, surprise.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I suppose that somebody may have stuck a fake one on the envelope, just to see if people really do pay much attention to the ballots.  Or else some stamp collector’s 5-year-old kid just received the spanking of his life.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 November 2006 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05
Accipiter - 12 November 2006 08:38 AM

I suppose that somebody may have stuck a fake one on the envelope, just to see if people really do pay much attention to the ballots.

That sounds like the most likely scenerio, especially since there was no identification anywhere.  I would think the older stamps would be easier to counterfeit anyway.

Rodstrom said he doubted the stamp would ever be handed over to someone claiming to have mailed it inadvertently.

“It would be hard to prove, I guess you would have to say it was a person who had Alzheimer’s,” he said.

If the $$$ value was high enough, the claimant could easily establish ownership by paying for a DNA test.  He undoubtedly licked the stamp or the envelope.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 12 November 2006 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

The person not only lost a half billion dollar stamp, but didn’t even get their vote counted.  What a rip off.

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 12 November 2006 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11
Razela - 12 November 2006 05:27 PM

The person not only lost a half billion dollar stamp, but didn’t even get their vote counted.  What a rip off.

LOL

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 12 November 2006 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08
Razela - 12 November 2006 05:27 PM

I was thinking this, too.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 15 November 2006 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

The story I heard said it had been determind that the stamp was a fake.

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

1 of 1