1 of 1
Is the US killing prisoners slowly? Is food a new kind of weapon?
Posted: 05 October 2006 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

“A high-calorie diet combined with life in the cell block—almost around the clock in some cases—is making detainees at Guantanamo Bay fat.

Meals totaling a whopping 4,200 calories per day are brought to their cells, well above the 2,000 to 3,000 calories recommended for weight maintenance by U.S. government dietary guidelines. And some inmates are eating everything on the menu.

One detainee has almost doubled in weight, to 410 pounds, said Navy Cmdr. Robert Durand, spokesman for the detention facilities at Guantanamo, a U.S. Navy station in southeast Cuba.”

Full story:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-103fatdetainees,0,2090695.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 05 October 2006 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2005-11-27

They aren’t trying to kill them, they’re trying to Americanize them.

Edit: Ha, right as I was pushing submit, the guy on TV said, “If you keep Eating those high calorie food everyday at McDonalds or Burge King, you are slowly killing yourself.”

Signature 

Always remember, “Boss is just double SOB backwards”.

Posted: 05 October 2006 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Geeze, you can’t starve them and you can’t overfeed them.  What the hell is this world coming to?  After all, if it’s good enough for us it’s good enough for them. raspberry

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 05 October 2006 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I can’t get the link to open up properly.  Are they being forced to eat all the food?  Because if they’re just being given as much food as they want, that’s hardly what I’d consider cruel treatment.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 October 2006 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15027
Joined  2006-08-16

My first thought on seeing the title and before reading the post was, “Were they feeding them spinach?”

(See the e coli problem from last month for those that don’t know.)

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 06 October 2006 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

“The detainees are advised that they are offered more food than necessary, to provide choice and variety, and that consuming all the food they are offered will result in weight gain,’‘

It’s self inflicted.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 10 October 2006 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Is food a new kind of weapon?

Would that make airline food “Death From Above!”?

No, wait… it’s more like “Death From Below”!

Posted: 10 October 2006 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

According to the Geneva Convention, prisoners should receive food and clothing not inferior to nationals of the Detaining Power, and also should have opportunity for physical exercise, including sports and games.

Well, they’re certainly receiving an American diet, but what about the sports? Are these American too? Perhaps the inmates are just bulking up to improve their defensive line? Perhaps in a couple of seasons we’ll see the “Gitmo Insurgents” in their all orange strips playing exhibition games against the winners of the Army/Navy match?

Posted: 11 October 2006 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-10-11

You know normally after we get the info we need from them we either want to send them away or shoot them. But, hey that is why us intel people normally have officers who are not intel. It’s that whole ball and chain game.

Posted: 15 October 2006 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Re:  the previous posting:

So, we are making them big and fat so they will be a bigger target and hence easier to shoot?

If they are supposed to be treated ‘like the citizens of the host country’  shouldn’t we give them I-pods and PSP’s?

Dan, just wondering

Posted: 31 October 2006 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

...If they feed them extra calories now, when they go on another hunger strike, it’ll take longer for them to get into a position of serious malnutrition.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 1

‹‹ New 3D image of the Mars Face      visited... ››