2 of 3
Yak-skiing !!!!
Posted: 13 September 2005 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26042
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m surprised that Stephen was capable of that level of subtlety.  I had to think about it for a minute. smile

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 14 September 2005 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Can we get a geologist in here to clear it up????

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 14 September 2005 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

“Lava” has to originally be molten rock, but even after it cools and solidifies it can still be loosely classified as being lava.  It’s just no longer molten lava.  Non-molten lava then gets further classified by how it cooled and its composition into narrower catagories, such as rhyolite or basalt or hard pointy blackish stuff.

There are two basic types of molten lava:  viscous and non-viscous.  When the non-viscous type cools, it will often form long, (relatively) smooth sheets of cooled lava.  This is probably the type that people would go sliding on.  If it was on the side of a volcano, then it could very well be like a giant playground slide, only more likely to get your limbs ripped off from your body.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 September 2005 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

I thought Lava, was theoretically magma? Isn’t lava just a general word for molten rock? Or is it the other way round?

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 14 September 2005 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Magma is a molten silicate substance, and can be found above or below the surface of the Earth.  It’s not just molten rock, but also super-heated water and some other gases.  It’s a very complicated substance, due to the way all the high pressures affect it.  It’s not a uniform substance.  Lava (extruded magma) is just one part of it, a less dense portion of the magma that’s forced to the surface by the denser parts beneath.

So in general terms, when people refer to “magma” they’re talking about magma still underground.  “Lava” is also magma, but it’s the term for magma that’s on the Earth’s surface.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 14 September 2005 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

Thanks for clearing that up mate. Much Obliged.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2005 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ll send you the bill for the consulting fee later, Mort.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2005 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Although I am not a geologist, I have been geogicaly trained, and I fully agree with the class Acci has been giving here.

It also depends on whether you take a petrologist view, or a geomorphologist or general geologists view. A petrologist will likely use names like Tephrite, Basalt, Rhyolite, Andesite etc. to refer to solidified “lava”. I.e., he wil go down to the petrologic level in his description. A geomorphologist will talk about “lava flows”. Vulcanologists have their own set of esoteric names.

Referring to solidified lava: there is a typology based on the structural aspects of the solidified rock, the main categories of which are:

* Pahuhu or ‘ropy’ lava: a wrinkled, ropy surface. Name is Hawaiian
* Aa: a very ragged, sintered surface. Name is Hawaiian.
* block-lava: how surprising, consisting of a blocked surface.
* pillow lava: a mass of pillow like blocks, typical for under water extrusion

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 14 September 2005 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

One of my own photo’s of Yaks (made in Qinghai, Chiina, 1998):

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 14 September 2005 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

Cool, and thanks to you too Lama. Wow, two geniuii in one day…

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2005 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

I would LOVE to go to China! Nice pic, LaMa!

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

2 of 3