Posted: 28 February 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 430 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5545
Joined  2007-03-14
Robin Bobcat - 27 February 2012 04:57 AM

OK, that one is priceless.  Canadian too.  smile

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 08 June 2012 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 431 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6932
Joined  2005-10-21

I have just checked someone into the hotel named Wang Dong.

Yeah, my inner 12-year-old is giggling madly.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 17 June 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 432 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Mr. Gale is warning Aussies about strong winds.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 July 2012 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 433 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-05-07

I have a friend who has two uncles- brothers- with the same name. Just like on Bob Newhart. The old country doctor who delivered them was either drunk or senile and put the same name on both birth certificates, and after that there was nothing they could do about it.

Signature 

I’m writing an unauthorized autobiography. - Steven Wright

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 434 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5152
Joined  2005-01-27

When Hyphen Boy Meets Hyphen Girl, Names Pile Up

Those born at the height of the name-hyphenating craze will be the first to tell you — having two last names can be more trouble than it’s worth. There’s the perennial confusion at school and at the doctor’s office, and the challenge of squeezing your name onto forms.

And now that the hyphenated generation is marrying and parenting, a whole host of new tricky situations has emerged.

Take Leila and Brendan. Their story is one of those fairy tale stories of love at first sight. She was in the lobby of her apartment building when this cute guy started moving in.

Not to sound too cliche, Leila says, but “I could tell there was something different about him.”

“And I saw her, and I was just happy there was at least one babe living in the apartment building,” Brendan says.

Hyphen Boy Meets Hyphen Girl

The pair chatted and flirted for a bit. Those were the good old days, before they started discovering the kind of issues that inevitably pop up later. Like when Brendan first noticed the name on Leila’s mailbox.

“I remember looking at hers and being like, ‘Holy crap, there’s another hyphenated last name!’ “

Brendan’s last name is Greene-Walsh, and Leila’s, Rathert-Knowles.

They both hoped things would continue to go well — but they both also knew they were a pileup waiting to happen.

“My names would probably be Leila Rathert-Knowles Greene-Walsh,” Leila says, laughing.

Brendan smirks, too. “It just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it?”

Now, four years later, these hyphenated honeys are still in love — but also still stumped on what they would possibly do if they decide to get hitched.

“I just don’t have any good answers,” sighs Leila.

One idea is melding. “Take, like, three letters from each name, and mix them up into a new word,” Brendan explains.

“Growlsh,” Leila offers.

Too much like Grolsch beer, Brendan counters.

Another option, Brendan says, is blind chance. “We could put all four of the names on pieces of paper in a hat, and just draw one,” he says.

And there’s always option “C”: none of the above.

“We can go the route of Prince and just drop our last names just, be like, ‘I’m Brendan.’ ” — The Brendan formerly known as Brendan Greene-Walsh.

A Bureaucratic Nightmare

Hyphenating has waned since its peak in the ‘80s and ‘90s, in part, experts say, because it’s become less of a feminist statement and more of a bureaucratic nightmare.

But also — as most “hyphens” will now tell you — it wasn’t really sustainable anyway. Hyphenating was destined to hit a wall after one generation.

“Yeah, it was gonna happen eventually,” says the man formerly known as Ian McKenna-Thomas. “And I did ask my mom, ‘What were you expecting me to do?’ “

His mother’s answer, Ian says, was basically, “You figure it out.”

Growing up, he was always teased about his name, Ian says. The big joke — what would he do if he married another hyphen? — was less humorous when it happened.

“So, sure enough, we had the potential of being the McKenna-Thomas Camera-Smith household,” Ian says. “Which sounded too much like a law firm, really.”

That mouthful wasn’t going to fly, so the couple sat down with a family tree and counted all of their cousins. When they concluded that “Camera” was the most endangered of all their last names, they decided they’d both take that one.

They worried about offending the other family members. But at the big reveal at their wedding, the pair kept their eyes on the bride’s maternal grandfather, an elderly Italian immigrant named Matteo Camera.

“He was very confused, but he did smile when we announced,” Ian says. “He smiled pretty big when we told folks what we were doing.”

And Baby Makes Three Names. Or Four.

Of course, figuring out a married name is only the beginning of the dilemma; what to name the kids can be even trickier.

Full Story.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 31 August 2012 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 435 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

The mother of one of our local artists:  Lena Hoard Hill.  It’s just. . .odd.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 26 December 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 436 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2005-09-11

I haven’t read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned Mr Mike Litoris? Google it, and click on pictures.

Signature 

This is the internet, where men are men, women are men, and little girls are FBI agents.

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!”

Some people are like slinkies: They don’t really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 437 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26371
Joined  2004-11-29

Just finished watching the first season of Misfits and was amused to see that one of the producers was Petra Fried.

Edit: and is now slightly disappointed the Petra says her surname as “Freed”.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 12 February 2013 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 438 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-07-04

This thread reminded me of a little inside joke regarding our high school teachers
Our geography teachers surname was Killing.
Our anatomy teachers/principals surname was Veri (Blood)
Our math teacher - Roomet
Together they made the “three names to run away from really fast” - Blood, Killing and Roomet. But what’s scary about Roomet? She’ll demand you to hand in your algebra homework!

*pause* ...I guess it’s more amusing if one were to personally know all the teachers in question.

Oh well, let’s make this post worthwhile then - the tower of Kiek in de Kök

40 of 40

‹‹ Two Random Sex Jokes      Hair Removal 101 ››