1 of 1
60’s Urban Legend
Posted: 27 August 2006 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-12-24

heard it numerous times back in circa ‘61 (yeah, I’m old) when I was in jr. high.
Back then, beehive hairdo’s were popular. They’re achieved by “ratting” (frizzing up) the hair and then sculpting an exterior.
Anyway, the story goes that a girl with a beehive hairdo was in a garage, (most versions placed her in the garage with her boyfirend and they were making out).
Anyway she bushed up against a black widows nest and the black widow got in her hair and built a nest.
And of course it ended up biting her and she died.
I began to suspect this was made up when I heard it from a number of unrelated people who all claimed the girl was their cousin.
Anyone out there ever hear this one?

Posted: 27 August 2006 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-08-01

That sounds like something that would be on snopes… let me check.

Yep, right here.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/hairdo.asp

Signature 

[quote author=“Accipiter”]
Acci:
Rightio:  from now on, you shall be known as He Who Shall Be Known As “He Who Shall Be Referred To By Whatever Name Happens To Take The Addresser’s Fancy”,  or HWSBKA"HWSBRTBWNHTTTAF” for short.

Posted: 28 August 2006 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26384
Joined  2004-11-29

Heh, I’ve never heard how the spiders got in the hairdo in the first place before. smile

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 28 August 2006 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-08-01

Well, if there are black widows in your garage and you’re brushing up against them, I’m thinking hairdo doesn’t matter.

Signature 

[quote author=“Accipiter”]
Acci:
Rightio:  from now on, you shall be known as He Who Shall Be Known As “He Who Shall Be Referred To By Whatever Name Happens To Take The Addresser’s Fancy”,  or HWSBKA"HWSBRTBWNHTTTAF” for short.

Posted: 28 August 2006 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5155
Joined  2005-01-27

In redneck territory everybody is a cousin of everybody.
So that part could be true.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 28 August 2006 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

Well, I remember the hairstyle, I too was in Junior High (now called Middle School) at the time, and yes, it happened to a classmate of a friend’s sister at another school.

Posted: 29 August 2006 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-07-04

I can actually see this happening. And the way I heard it was with a rat or a bat (but not a cat) getting in the hair somehow, and popping out at some sort of social event. The hair woule have to be something really Marge Simpson-esque though.

Signature 

And so often, we do not struggle to improve conditions,
We struggle for the right to say, “We improved conditions.”
-Thursday.

Posted: 29 August 2006 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

*makes note to change his beehive hairdo to a different style*

And yes, I’ve heard this story many times.  But it was always in collections of stories of the “tell them around a campfire” type.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 August 2006 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56861
Joined  2005-02-10

Well, owning a rat, and knowing that bats have sonar, neither of them sound likely either…

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

1 of 1