1 of 2
Traffic Lights
Posted: 06 September 2005 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-09-06

Just found this forum and I’ve got to tell you one a local DJ did a few years back.

“Newsflash: New traffic lights on Park Square Roundabout (biggest one in town). They’ve got black boxes on the top that respond to loud noises. So when they turn red, honk at them and they’ll change.” This caused months of hassle and noise before a sign was erected to let people know that honking didn’t work. Makes me wonder why I’m still living in a City full of idiots!

Posted: 06 September 2005 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26044
Joined  2004-11-08

It’s amazing what you can get gullible people to do. 

Good luck finding a city without idiots.  I don’t think that such a thing exists.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 06 September 2005 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Too funny.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 06 September 2005 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

What’s funnier is that a roundabout, by design, is an intersection that doesn’t require traffic lights. You pull up to a stop sign at the circular intersection, enter the one-directional flow of traffic when safe, and exit when you reach the appropriate side. I would like to see a photo of a roundabout with a traffic signal!

rolleyes

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 07 September 2005 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  342
Joined  2004-11-08

Wow, Tulip! I didn’t know that! I will try it the next time I am at a red light!!! Thanks for the tip!

Signature 

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
-George Orwell

Posted: 07 September 2005 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Mark-N-Jen - 07 September 2005 02:55 AM

What’s funnier is that a roundabout, by design, is an intersection that doesn’t require traffic lights. You pull up to a stop sign at the circular intersection, enter the one-directional flow of traffic when safe, and exit when you reach the appropriate side. I would like to see a photo of a roundabout with a traffic signal!

rolleyes

I’ve seen them with signals…

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 September 2005 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

Yup, the larger ones over here have traffic lights.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 07 September 2005 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05

Roundabouts with lights are so-o common.

What you really want is a roundabout with roundabouts!

See http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm.

What’s funny is, I learned to drive on this! Licence?! I should have got a frickin’ medal!

Posted: 07 September 2005 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

I remember a friend from the Transport Research Laboratory mentioning that “Transport For London” had done a study on Roundabouts with Lights… So I found it for you. Just visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/ and type “signals at roundabouts” into the search box.

Posted: 07 September 2005 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

We have ONE roundabout that I have to use.  It’s in channelside district (near the port authority).  It’s a little bit scary.  Once I got in, I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to get right back out (like did I need to say hello, goodbye, offer a mint?) or was it just a wham bam…thank you roundabout?

Sometimes I remember to turn off before I get to it (taking a less direct route to the channelside parking garage)...but not making my heart race a million miles a minute.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 07 September 2005 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-05

We have ONE roundabout that I have to use.  It

Posted: 07 September 2005 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22
Maegan - 07 September 2005 12:24 PM
Mark-N-Jen - 07 September 2005 02:55 AM

rolleyes

I’ve seen them with signals…

Huh… I see from Dave’s links that “our” version might even be the uncommon one. It’s funny now looking back but how the city council “sells” the cost of converting all these intersections into RoundAbouts is based a lot on the fact that signals are no longer required to manage the intersection.

*Who would have thought that you couldn’t trust the word of a government organization?*

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

1 of 2